PDA

View Full Version : Printing to shared printer

boehmb
12-25-2002, 03:32 AM
How can I print to a shared printer on a Windows network? Is it possible? Knoppix is great!

A. Jorge Garcia
12-25-2002, 05:44 AM
Get a test print from your printer. This usually includes the IP address for that printer on your LAN.

Then click: K, KNOPPIX, CONFIGURE, PRINTERS. In this app you can configure a Network Printer and supply the IP address and give the printer a nickname of your choosing.

After all this, open your favorite editor and print your favorite file picking the nicknamed printer. Worked like a dream for me the other day in my class. I use KNOPPIX and g++ to teach AP Computer Science on a LAN at my school. We have 2 HP LaserJet 4050s and one HP Color LaserJet 4500 on our LAN that we nicknamed Larry. Moe and Curly....

BTW, you can always save this printer configuration to a boot disk in ext2 format with the bash file knoppix.sh so you don't have to configure the printer every time!

Good Luck,

jjc71538
01-31-2003, 11:31 PM
I printed the test page as stated - nothing on it indicating TCP/IP info, only Windows 98 stuff.

I posted the following on another forum:

I got a local printer working and now want to get a network printer working. Thanks to the posts above I got the local one working.
The printer is attached to a PC running Widows 98.
The KDE manager requires an address and port for the printer.
The printer is connected to Windows networking but not to TCP/IP ( I think) - the PC connects through a router to a cable modem to an ISP so it's running TCP/IP but what about the printer and making it visible through TCP/IP to the KNOPPIX system so the printer can be set using the KDE manager.

boehmb
02-01-2003, 08:15 PM
If the printer is a shared Windows printer attached to a computer on the network, set it up as you would a Windows printer. Go to the Knoppix menu>configure>configure printer. In the KDE printing manager, select 'add printer' and follow the installation routine. It works just like Windows. You will have to enter the computer name that the printer is attached to, name it, select a print system (my Laserjet uses CUPS), etc. When naming the computer that the printer is attached to, just use the network name, like Dell 266 instead of \\Dell 266\, like you would in Windows. Good luck!