PDA

View Full Version : HELP! won't write to correct partition

doclalor
04-09-2005, 06:57 PM
My aim: I want to set up my machine as a server with the web directory in a partition that spans a 200 GB WD-HD (/dev/hdd1). I've got the OS and swap partitions, etc., on a 40 GB Fujitsu HD (/dev/hdc1, /dev/hdc2, etc.).

My problem: When I write to /mnt/hdd1 (using FTP over SSH or Samba or whatever), the FTP client shows the written files as being written to /mnt/hdd1, BUT THEY'RE NOT REALLY BEING WRITTEN TO THAT PHYSICAL DRIVE (I think), because the /mnt/hdc1 partition gets filled up as I write the files. I "watch" this happening from the command line using #df, which shows that more and more space on /hdc1 is being used ... right up until it fills up.

How can I fix this and ensure that I can write to my 200 GB partition on /dev/hdd1?

There's a ton of other moves I've tried, and data I've gathered; but I won't post it all here unless I learn that it's relevant.

Thanks!

chris-harry
04-10-2005, 05:33 AM
ok... i had the simular problem on me small 4Gb drive... yes you can rub it in thats yours is bigger... ... what i did, was creat a small (and i mean small), and unused partion about 10Mb at the start of the drive... hence becoming the new hda1... which means you have to move everything down... but i dont know if this will work in your case... sorry...

jjmac
04-11-2005, 01:44 AM
How do you go about the actual write ?
So, you boot into hdc(1 or 2), then hdd1 gets auto mounted. Or do you mount it manually. I guess you must have a dvd/cdrom on the first controleres first channel as hda.

What does ...

]# mount

have to say about what is actually mounted at the time, and where.

Check your /etc/fstab file for a possible miss-configuration, or cross mapping.

Check the config file(s) for those clients for some possible default that might be overriding things.

But i suspect you probably have looked into those possibilities.

When you use those clients, are you doing from another location(machine), or from the same box ?

Just guesses :)

jm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

doclalor
04-11-2005, 03:38 AM
jjmac, your question about mounting was right on. Using #mount got me on track: I didn't realize that I needed not just to access the partition through /mnt/hdd1 but also needed to issue the #mount /dev/hdd1 command. I've now changed my fstab to auto mount, and all works well. Thanks!

I think before I changed this, the files were being written to the /mnt/hdd1 DIRECTORY in a different partition rather than to /dev/hdd1!!! (Idiotic, I know! But I'm a PHP developer finally getting around to running my own server, handicapped by a Window$ background.)

jjmac
04-11-2005, 10:40 AM
hehehe,

Yes, it was writing to the /mnt/hdd1 directory in your hdc(1)or (2) drive (grin).

>>
... I know! But I'm a PHP developer finally getting around to running my own server, handicapped by a Window$ background ...
>>

excuses, excuses ... hehehehe :)

jm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~