PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.8.1 is out!

fingers99
04-10-2005, 12:29 AM
3.8.1 superceedes the ceBit release, but keeps all the features. The BitTorrent is here (http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/). DE and EN versions.

Harry Kuhman
04-10-2005, 01:02 AM
I had used the unofficial CeBIt version a little, but downloaded from the official torrent last night and just tested the new release in my notebook; I'm very happy. Here are just my few first impressions (still have not played with the new file system): This version of Knoppix boots properly on my notebook without needing any cheat codes, Up to now I have needed cheat codes since about version 3.3. I used to need both the noscsi cheat code and the acpi=off code. Also, I found that these codes helped me get past a networking problem that I've had since Knoppix 3.1 after having run a Microsoft security update (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2164&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0). With Knoppix 3.8.1 I can finally boot without any codes and I have access to my built-in NIC again, no resetting or other foolishness.

I suggest that anyone getting the download use Bittorrent. The mirrors are heavily loaded (and are known to not always give a good download). There are a lot of seeders on Bittorrent now and the download is reasonably fast. If you are behind a hardware firewall (router) please make sure that the proper ports (6880-6899) are forwarded to the computer where you run Bittorrent and that any software firewall you have on that computer allows the incoming connections to Bittorrent so that you can help others as you download. And leave your connection up and sharing as long as you can to help others once you have the file. I left mine run all night and day. It's down at the moment but I'll restart it again tonight and share my bandwidth to distribute the files while I sleep.

eadz
04-10-2005, 08:11 AM
* V3.8.1-2005-04-08
- Lots and lots of package updates
- Integration of UNIONFS for full write support in the live session
- Capability + utilities for using loopback virtual disk drives on NTFS
(saving system changes and home directory permanently on disk)
- Kernel 2.6.11 (Kernel 2.4.x removed)
- ipw2100 and ipw2200 (Centrino WLAN) support
- RAlink rt2400 and rt2500 WLAN support
- ndiswrapper update
- FreeNX update (client and Server)
- Added: qemu, kwifimanager
- OpenOffice 1.1.4
- KDE 3.3.2 from Debian/unstable
- Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird from Debian/unstable
- Live updates/software installations can now be done via kpackage thanks to unionfs

Interesting to see Kernel 2.4.x removed!

JSantos
04-10-2005, 07:37 PM
Will be soon a new release of Knoppix with KDE 3.4 ?

ar
04-10-2005, 08:23 PM
I think 3.8.1 will be a jump for knoppix!

mark.johnson
04-10-2005, 10:26 PM
Brilliant, 3.8.1 even has the latest security updates for Firefox and Thunderbird :D

UNIONFS is really straightfoward as well :mrgreen:

twongkee
04-11-2005, 12:40 AM
Anyone else having problems with external firewire disks?

My hard disk doesn't connect properly (I can post details later) DVD-R works fine, and the disk worked fine with 2.4 kernel in 3.7 ...

just wondering if anyone else seeing similar

GainesTR
04-11-2005, 01:18 AM
I have always had to use cheatcode xmodule=ati for video support. However, with new version, I see that it loads the ati video support but It doesn't seem to work. My video playback for DVD's and screensavers are extremly slow. This has always worked in the past. Any ideas?

patelbhavesh
04-11-2005, 03:27 AM
For folks who want to download via edonkey/gnutella p2p networks here are the links for English downloads

via Edonkey
ed2k://|file|KNOPPIX_V3.8.1-2005-04-08-EN.iso|719603712|4488e33c406fece130745879f434dc85|

Via gnutella(Magnet link)
magnet:?xt=urn:sha1:I3AK3R5JN7F4EUTAI4TI7PATGSYCLL RW&dn=KNOPPIX_V3.8.1-2005-04-08-EN.iso

j.drake
04-11-2005, 03:42 AM
Pardon me if I'm asking a dumb question, but I'm a little bit confused about what's been posted about the Union FS. If I burn to a DVD+RW disk, will I be able to use this same to save my preferences, persistent home and files, such that all are available on any other computer able to read and boot off of a DVD+RW disk?

eco2geek
04-11-2005, 12:02 PM
If I'm understanding you correctly, you want to both run Knoppix and load your persistent home from a DVD, without copying anything to a hard drive, right?

(I'm no expert, and the hour is late, so all this is open to correction.)

You could certainly save your "persistent disk image" (it's more than just a "persistent home" now) to a DVD-RW after you were done using it, but you couldn't run it from there. How could you?

AFAICT, in order to create/use a persistent disk image, Knoppix needs read-write access to a file -- be it on a hard disk partition (even NTFS now!), a USB thumbdrive, or a removable disk. The use of unionfs hasn't changed that. It's not all loaded into memory. Do you know of a DVD-R drive that will read from and burn to the same file in real time?

As I understand it, unionfs is a virtual file system that overlays "real" file systems on top of each other and makes it seem like they're all combined, invisible to the end user. In Knoppix's case, at the bottom there's the read-only CD filesystem. On top of that, there's the read-write ramdisk. On top of that (taking precedence over both) is the read-write persistent disk image. If you do an "apt-get update && apt-get install kdegames", the APT data and DEB package is written to the /var directory in your persistent disk image, and the binaries are written to the /usr directory (the directories are created if they don't exist). Since the data is written to your persistent disk image, it's still there the next time you run Knoppix.

If you did the same thing without a persistent disk image, it would work, but the data would be written to the ramdisk, and would disappear when the computer was shut down.

(The old-style persistent home also still works -- where all you're storing is the contents of /home/knoppix -- but then it's not mounted with unionfs.)

boehmb
04-11-2005, 02:51 PM
Pardon me for posting again. I cannot find the function listed above, that has been included in Knoppix for quite a while. Am I missing it or is it no longer included? It was nice to install the nVidia driver, Macromedia Flash, etc., when running a live session or "poor mans install."

Thanks

watcher
04-11-2005, 03:30 PM
I just burned 3.8.1 with great expectations of NTFS write support.

Trying to change a mounted NTFS partition to write mode gives me the message that I should try "Captive-NTFS" under Knoppix/Utilities. This doesn't seem to exist any longer!

How do I WRITE NTFS ?

:(

BillS
04-11-2005, 07:35 PM
My results with 3.8.1 have been rather odd.

The bottom line is that it only worked with a USB keyboard and USB mouse.

This is sub-optimal on a laptop with a function keyboard and touch pad. The bootThe machines
were Dell Lattitude 600 and 610, as well as an Inspiron 5100. This occured regardless of wheather
the devices were plugged in before or after boot.

When the USB kbd was plugged in, an error message appeared but the keyboard (USB)
still worked. Message was

modprobe: FATAL: Could not read /lib/modules/2.6.11/kernel/drivers/input/evdev.ko: Not a directory

Aleu
04-11-2005, 09:11 PM
Knoppix 3.8.1 does not detect my SATA drive! The previous version (3.7) worked just fine. If someone knows how to force version 3.8.1 to detect my SATA drive in Dell OptiPlex GX 280 Series PC please advise.

Thanks.

aebp
04-12-2005, 04:47 PM
The Unionfs is great but I did notice that the wlanng wireless drivers and gpsd went away :(

mark.johnson
04-12-2005, 05:25 PM
Just a quick question before I go ahead with this..
If I do an apt-get install of KDE to get 3.4, it comes up with a load of new installs instead of upgrades as I expected.
If I install (I'm using a persistant disk image) will Knoppix automatically start up in KDE 3.4?

Also, if anyone knows about this (although I'm pretty sure it's not possible) is there anything I can do to make it use my persistant disk image automatically without having to use knoppix home=scan and then select stuff from the blue screen menu?

Cheers,
Mark

locutus
04-12-2005, 11:28 PM
From the Knoppix menu, the Configure BTTV TV Card utility must be scripted wrong or something since it just causes xdialog to pop open its usage screen.

unionFS looks pretty cool!

Another thing I noticed:
When X comes up( requested screen=1280x1024 at started ), I get 1184x87? on a GForce FX5200.
I've seen this before and the way around it is to run "gtf 1280 1024 70 >> /etc/X11/XF86Config-4" and then put the modline in the right place/etc before restarting the X to get the correct screen resolution.

lilsirecho
04-13-2005, 04:35 AM
Cannot find KDiskFree in Version 3.8.1?

Is it no longer included in the K-line?

Aleu
04-13-2005, 05:38 AM
How does one initiate 3D support in NVidia graphics card? I have Knoppix 3.8.1 and Nvidia GF2 graphics card. After boot everything seems to be fine with my display, but there is no 3D support. What are the necessary steps to initiate it?
Please advise.

Thanks.

jjjrrr3
04-13-2005, 07:08 AM
How does one initiate 3D support in NVidia graphics card? I have Knoppix 3.8.1 and Nvidia GF2 graphics card. After boot everything seems to be fine with my display, but there is no 3D support. What are the necessary steps to initiate it?
Due to copyright issues, I think that you have to download and to install the drivers from Nvidia. This might be set-up for you already. In 3.8.1, can you still go to K -> Knoppix -> Utilities -> Install software -> nvidia?

ruymbeke
04-13-2005, 09:24 AM
Anybody else not having sound using knoppix 3.8.1 on a IBM T41 laptop (using default boot) ? Any fix ?

lilsirecho
04-13-2005, 03:22 PM
Command df -h on Cebit Version 3.8 shows UnionFS has 9GB capability.

The same command on Version 3.8.1 shows 4.5GB capability.

jmcneal
04-13-2005, 07:03 PM
Can i update knoppix 3.7 to 3.8? or is 3.8 a new install ?

alert5
04-13-2005, 11:02 PM
I find it rather odd that 3.4.1 boots my desktop with support for an MS USB wireless mouse but 3.8.1 does not.

Aleu
04-14-2005, 12:42 AM
>> In 3.8.1, can you still go to K -> Knoppix -> Utilities -> Install software -> nvidia?

No such an option in Knoppix 3.8.1

treblemaker
04-14-2005, 04:22 AM
ASUS P4S8X, 2400 MHz P4, 512 MB DDR, WD800 80GB IDE

After booting 3.8.1 for the first time today, I noticed that mkntfs was taking forever to zero-out a partition. I confirmed with dd that I am getting only about 2 MB /second written to the ide drive (WD800). Same result with or without drive write cache. Initial writes go about 4 MB/sec, then degrade over one or two minutes down to a steady 2 MB/sec.

In 3.7 the same operation writes a steady 36 MB/second with no degradation over time.

The command to test this is (after using qtparted to create a 25 GB ntfs partition)

dd if=/dev/zero ibs=65536k obs=8032k of=/dev/hda7

(use "kill -USR1 $dd_PID" in another shell to monitor the bytes/sec)

Have I overlooked something obvious?

Thanks and Best Regards,

Jeff Buckles
Aloha, OR, USA

Jansi
04-14-2005, 05:39 PM
I suggest that anyone getting the download use Bittorrent. The mirrors are heavily loaded (and are known to not always give a good download).

Curious why BT is so slow. I don't really understand the process. I do try to always "do the right thing" and use it, because I believe in the principle of sharing internet load.

Like last night, I downloaded it from home overnight with BT, and left my machine on long after the download was done (and was happy to see that several hundred megabytes had been uploaded).

But the truth is, I could have gotten it two or three times as fast downloading direct from a mirror, because the connection speed to one or more mirrors was as fast as my bandwidth allowed, whereas BT never really seems to get above 1/3rd of my max speed. And that's 1/10th of my speed (just clocked) from work.

Is this because many of the uploading "seeders" or whatever are over modem? Are users prioritized by bandwith at all?

THinking about it, how would someone with a T1 connection be prioritized over someone with a modem? At first it seems like the answer is "screw priority: everyone is equal!" But then the guy with the T1 would have no real incentive to use it, since the proportionate hit in speed would be greater than the 56k user. But if that guy did use BT with a lesser "penalty", that guy could also have been uploading vastly more, benefitting all the guys with 56k connections.

Harry Kuhman
04-14-2005, 06:16 PM
Curious why BT is so slow. I don't really understand the process. I do try to always "do the right thing" and use it, because I believe in the principle of sharing internet load.....
What client and version are you using? I just looked and there are over 300 completed seeders on at the moment, and of course everyone who is uploading should be sharing too. I can see that many of the downloaders are averaging over 100KB/S, which is in my mind pretty good. I got my copy about a week ago and only averaged under 20KB/S, but I could see at the time that there were others downloading at the same time getting better speeds and I certainly wasn't using anywhere near my download capacity. I think I've determined in my case that I was flooding my upload channel so bad that my requests to the other servers that I was downloading from were backing up pretty bad. I was actually uploading a lot faster than I was downloading. I've since upgraded to BitTorrent 4.0.1. It has a nice hand upload speed control on it and it seem to do a better job for me. I've mostly just been using it to share the Knoppix files this week, but a few quick tests of downloading speed went pretty well.

Harry Kuhman
04-14-2005, 06:22 PM
THinking about it, how would someone with a T1 connection be prioritized over someone with a modem? At first it seems like the answer is "screw priority: everyone is equal!" But then the guy with the T1 would have no real incentive to use it, since the proportionate hit in speed would be greater than the 56k user. But if that guy did use BT with a lesser "penalty", that guy could also have been uploading vastly more, benefitting all the guys with 56k connections.
With BT you don't get the file from just one other user, and you don't feed just one other user. So even if you are on a high speed connection, BT may ask someone on dial-up to provide you with a small slice of the file. He has the available bandwidth while he is downloading to upload too, and you gain just a little by getting that extra slice from him. If you get enough slices that way it adds up. The only downside that might be there is that towards the end of a long download of a large file like Knoppix, you might have your last slice trickeling in from a dial-up user after all of the high speed slices have completed. But this should only cost you and extra minute or two and is well worth it for the real benefits we get from the system.

Jansi
04-14-2005, 10:59 PM
What client and version are you using?

Debian's latest unstable, 3.4.2-3

Wow, 100kps would have made me happy. I was getting about 145kps in direct FTP, but only 40kps peak with BT, and most of the first hour WAY below that.

I stuck with it at home (like I said), and kept my machine on overnight to let others have my upload.

Maybe the Debian version is way behind? Or maybe BT doesn't have a great Linux version? Dunno... but I've got the disk now :-)

mgraf
04-15-2005, 08:07 PM
Anybody else not having sound using knoppix 3.8.1 on a IBM T41 laptop (using default boot) ? Any fix ?
Have a IBM T40 and the same problem. But not only the sound doesn't work, also the wlan-card wasn't detected. I'm a bit disappointed because all worked fine with version 3.7.
I tried several chatcodes without any success... :(

jagodragon
04-15-2005, 11:59 PM
does any one know what version of debian is used for this build?

ruymbeke
04-16-2005, 12:25 AM
Have a IBM T40 and the same problem. But not only the sound doesn't work, also the wlan-card wasn't detected. I'm a bit disappointed because all worked fine with version 3.7.
After running alsaconf, the sound works on my T41 and Knoppix 3.8.1. Why is the autodetection is failing ? (was working on 3.7)
An other solution would be to remaster the cd with a knoppix.sh running alsaconf at boot time, but it looks like ugly to me...
Any better idea ? Can I use a cheatcode ? What is the best way of submitting this bug to Klaus Knopper ? Knoppix Mailing list ?
Cheers, Gilles

jacksonon
04-17-2005, 08:14 AM
After running alsaconf, the sound works on my T41 and Knoppix 3.8.1. Why is the autodetection is failing ? (was working on 3.7)
An other solution would be to remaster the cd with a knoppix.sh running alsaconf at boot time, but it looks like ugly to me...
Any better idea ? Can I use a cheatcode ? What is the best way of submitting this bug to Klaus Knopper ? Knoppix Mailing list ?
Cheers, Gilles

im having the same problem on my A30. also i never had the internal wifi work but thats not as annoying as having to run alsaconf every boot

Perf
04-18-2005, 08:58 AM
When I bring up 3.8.1 live on my laptop (Fujitsu P2120,) the windows are missing the title bars. Can't seem to re-enable this.
Is this a new bug or feature for 3.8?
How can I re-enable them?

(Maybe I just don't get it - I looked for FAQs)

GaTk
04-19-2005, 11:41 AM
I was pleased to read the storm of good comments about 3.8.... I downloaded the English version ISO ... made a bootable cd and bingo ... it loaded and ran the firsttime on my Pentium 4 machine. I have been using 3.4 for sometime.... 3.7 would not load on this machine and since 3.4 worked I never chased the problem. I was very amazed that going through my ndiswrapper ritual produced a working FIREFOX connection... I have a WINXP machine that has a wireless access point using ICS to share a wireless broad band router.
This kludge worked for me the first time using a boot from my new 3.8 LiveCD. I switched to my "play" machine and proceeded to do a hd install ..... what frustration. Things that go bang in the dark ... ie don't work !!!! Tried a hd install to hdb6 ....

1. knx-hdinstaller not found. Name changed to knx2hd..... why ???

2. created boot disk wouldn't boot.

3. tried to mount my Lexar usb drive where I keep my install goodies. Wouldn't
mount .... DMESG showed SDA1 now called UBA1..... why ???

4. of course .... no sound.

5. who or what is ra0. ???? netcardconfig menus still sporting GERMAN.

I have learned to accept the subtle differences among distros but IMHO these namel
changes are irrational and must drive system administrators nuts. I'm sure most of these "features'" are small ripples to the veterans but they sure are frustrating to
people like me.

Just my opinion...

UnderScore
04-19-2005, 03:30 PM
We should probably create new posts for support in that appropriate forum as opposed to tacking on support requests here in the News forum.

1. knx-hdinstaller not found. Name changed to knx2hd..... why ???From the Hd Install HowTo at http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hd_Install_HowTo:
You should get Knoppix version 3.4 or later and type sudo knoppix-installer in the shell if you want to do this. Please ALWAYS make sure that you have a working backup of your important data prior to experimenting with ANY new software, no matter if Windows, Linux or anything else. Have a look here for more info about sudo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudo).

In knoppix-installer, arrow keys move focus and space bar selects options.

Note: Do not use "knx-hdinstall" anymore. "knx-hdinstall" is no longer maintained, use "knoppix-installer" instead.

2. created boot disk wouldn't boot.Making boot floppies from Knoppix is now deprecated and will not work with Knoppix 3.7 & 3.8.x. If you really want to boot Knoppix from a floppy then you should use http://btmgr.webframe.org/ Smart Boot Manager. You can search the forums to get more help with SBM.

3. tried to mount my Lexar usb drive where I keep my install goodies. Wouldn't mount .... DMESG showed SDA1 now called UBA1..... why ???This is due to a linux kernel change. The very brain of the OS, the Linux kernel version 2.6.x, the internal architechture has changed and this has resulted in USB devices mapped to /dev/uba. Yes this is frustrating but going forward, this may be a permanent change. It is more logical to have USB devices at a /dev/uba1 as opposed to /dev/sda1 because /dev/sd? was created years ago for SCSI devices.

4. of course .... no sound.Knoppix 3.8.x has dropped (as in it is NOT included on the CD) the 2.4.x kernel version. This has resulted in a major change in how Knoppix works with hardware.

5. who or what is ra0. ???? netcardconfig menus still sporting GERMAN.If you have installed Knoppix to the HD and still get german language then first check the /etc/lilo.conf file. I have noticed that it may set the language there upon boot up. In the lilo.conf file, it should have a append="blah blah blah" section. In that section you may find lang=de. Either delete it or change it to lang=us. Save the lilo.conf file then run /sbin/lilo to apply the changes.

I have learned to accept the subtle differences among distros but IMHO these name changes are irrational and must drive system administrators nuts. I'm sure most of these "features'" are small ripples to the veterans but they sure are frustrating to people like me.Many of the distros are going through similar if not identical growing pains as they all move to support newer 2.6 kernels. If it is any consolation, even as a sysadmin, I have to learn & adjust to new things daily and Knoppix is one of those things.

I hope this helps.
James

GaTk
04-20-2005, 01:43 PM
Thanks for your answers to my laments regarding knx 3.8 As a casual hobbiest user I get caught by these changes and with my shallow knowledge it is hard to find resolutions
in the vast world of Linux documen?a?ion. FWIW... I googled endlessly on the boot disk problem and found nothing. When something is "deprecated" it would seem to me that the function should be removed from the installer software.....not left to error out and leave
users wondering... Hard to tell deprecating from bugs. Same goes for the sound thing...
Just my opinion.

Ted in Atlanta

Jameson
05-07-2005, 02:37 AM
I, for one, am EXTREMELY happy about the rt2400/2500 driver support! Being an Averatec user I've had a bit of troble trying to get my wi-fi connection up and running so this is great news. Torrents coming down at almost half a meg so thanks out their to all the seeders!

maxIT
05-07-2005, 04:56 PM
created boot disk wouldn't boot.
I deprecate it since with knx3.4 you nedd 2 and no more one floppy :( , but I've discovered this very intersting thread: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12520&start=0
It lead you to create a boot floppy with a simple autoexec.bat, or without floppy and without cd, boot knoppix with an yourname.bat file in your hd.
I consider me very newb but I've tryed it with success :D
Just few keywords, just download a little 32k loadlin file :wink:

bye, max

Digital Parasite
05-11-2005, 10:28 PM
This is due to a linux kernel change. The very brain of the OS, the Linux kernel version 2.6.x, the internal architechture has changed and this has resulted in USB devices mapped to /dev/uba. Yes this is frustrating but going forward, this may be a permanent change. It is more logical to have USB devices at a /dev/uba1 as opposed to /dev/sda1 because /dev/sd? was created years ago for SCSI devices.

Is it just internal kernel changes? If you take Fedora Core 3 with the latest 2.6.x kernel as well as the custom Linux 2.6 boot CDs I have created the USB drives still get mapped to /dev/sda1. I noticed that Knoppix 3.8.1 does map the devices to /dev/uba1 but not all systems running the 2.6.x kernel acts in this way, so something else must be different as well. Any idea what that is?

angor
05-12-2005, 05:42 AM
> I noticed that Knoppix 3.8.1 does map the devices to /dev/uba1 but not all systems running the 2.6.x kernel acts in this way

For those who dare compile the kernel themselves ;-))))
make menuconfig -> device drivers -> block devices -> Low Performance USB Block driver

Quote from "Help":
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_UB:
This driver supports certain USB attached storage devices
such as flash keys.
Warning: Enabling this cripples the usb-storage driver.
</quote>

You don't have to enable this, but Knoppix obviously chose to do just that.

ruymbeke
05-12-2005, 05:48 AM
According to http://distrowatch.com/ Knoppix 3.8.2 is out !!!

An updated version of the KNOPPIX live CD has been released.
From the http://ftp.tu-ilmenau.de/Mirrors/knoppix/KNOPPIX-CHANGELOG.txt V3.8.2-2005-05-05 (update):
dist-upgrade;
kernel 2.6.11 update;
the madwifi drivers are back;
kwifimanager in KNOPPIX/network menu;
OpenOffice 1.1.4 security update;
swapping on knoppix.swp on a NTFS partition should now work;
replaced Fabian Franz' original knoppix-installer with the version from Jörg Schirottke/Kanotix;
fixed SCSI drivers in bootimage.
KNOPPIX 3.8.2 is available for free download from one of its mirror servers: ftp://source.rfc822.org/pub/mirror/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V3.8.2-2005-05-05-EN.iso (694MB) or
ftp://source.rfc822.org/pub/mirror/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V3.8.2-2005-05-05-DE.iso (694MB).

Hopefully someone will publish a bittorrent as well ...
Why is it not announced in the english forum yet ???
Cheers, Gilles

Digital Parasite
05-13-2005, 03:21 PM
>For those who dare compile the kernel themselves ;-))))
make menuconfig -> device drivers -> block devices -> Low Performance USB Block driver

Thanks angor. I never noticed that option before. I am used to building 2.4 kernels so I haven't had a chance to discover all the new features of 2.6 yet.

But why do they call it "low performance" because its speed is much worse than than the "regular" driver?

tboege
05-14-2005, 06:48 PM
3.8.2 torrent available from http://www.boegenielsen.dk:6969