PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.7 connect to Internet

phil66
04-10-2005, 03:55 AM
Hi forum

I have a Creative modem blaster 56k v.92 PCI di5633 HCF modem that I am trying to connect to the internet via kppp and or pppconfig. Modem is on com 3 and is an internal.

I have used all combinations in kppp possible and the only returns I get is modem ready and either modem busy or modem initilizing. Waited on initilizing as long as 30+ minutes no go.

Scanned lspci -v and recieved the following info:

0000:01:0b.0 Communication controller: Conexant HCF 56k data/fax/voice modem (worldwide)(rev08)

Subsystem: DIGICOM Systems,Inc: unknown device 1059

Flags: bus master,medium devsel,latency 64,IRQ 9

Memory at ff8f0000 (32-bit,non-prefetechable)(size 64k)

IO Port at dff0 [size=8]

Capacities: [40] power management version 2

Your help will be greatly appreciated
Ray

phil66
04-10-2005, 03:58 AM
Knoppix is 3.7 live cd
There is no modem on the boot screen.

Ray

tdjokic
04-10-2005, 07:00 AM
As far as I know, only way to connect to net with Live Knoppix over dial-up modem is to have hardware modem. Unfortunatelly, your modem seems to me like winmodem (HCF). There are some PCI hardware modem. All external, SERIAL (not USB) modems are hardware and work out of the box. kppp can't help you in this situation. If you install Knoppix to hdd, you need driver for your modem and so on. Here is a quote from one post on net:

"The Conexant HCF and HSF winmodems are supported by the Linuxant drivers. This started as free software, but snowballed to the point where the guy decided he should charge a fee for it. The upside is that it's a very highly developed and polished driver. You can download it for free to verify that it works with your modem, but it's limited to 14.4k. $15 gets you the unrestricted 56k version."

fingers99
04-10-2005, 03:34 PM
$15 gets you the unrestricted 56k version.

And $30 might get you el cheapo external serial modem...................

AliG
04-10-2005, 03:58 PM
Hey,

i have knoppix3.7 running from live cd,

i was trying to configure my isdn modem, Telstra NT1 Plus II, it is connected via usb.

it shows up on usb view as connected to the usb controller.

being a novice i am not sure how to configure it. I tried the instructions thats come with this modem for instaling it on red hat but they didnt seem to work for me.

phil66
04-10-2005, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the information

This confirms the info from linmodem,forums and help sheets

I have just purchased a Suse distro so this info made me decide to purchase
Zoom serial external modem which says it will work with Microsoft,Linux and Mac.

Your help is greatly appreciated

Ray