PDA

View Full Version : Version 3.8.1, USB cable modem

JustinSL
04-10-2005, 04:37 AM
Machine specs: Pentium 4 1.5 GHz, 128 MB RAM, 52x/32x/52x LG CD burner, a DVD-ROM drive, nVidia GeForceMX2 32 MB video card, CS4281 PCI sound card, no ethernet card, no dial-up modem, 40 GB Maxtor hard drive, Intel D850GB chipset, standard clone PC (nothing fancy like Dell/HP/Compaq/etc.)

Hello folks.

I have an RCA/Thomson USB cable modem to connect to the Internet. Knoppix 3.8.1 refuses to recognize the cable modem, while Knoppix 3.7 worked perfectly with my cable modem. I tried a few cheat codes to no avail. I even poked around with the configuration and such, but no success.

(D*** Small Linux, Libranet, and Windows 2000/XP also all work perfectly with my cable modem as well)

I have a 10/100 Ethernet card and a CAT5 cable (patch/straight through) at my disposal if switching to Ethernet is the best option. I thought about doing that, but since the older Knoppix and the other OSes work with my current setup, I wasn't too sure about making the move.

Where should I go from here?

(P.S.: There was another couple of weird things that Knoppix 3.8.1 did that 3.7 didn't, it detected PCMCIA and FireWire, two things my computer doesn't have. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.)

Thanks in advance. :D

(and thanks to the Knoppix people for making such a fine product)

linux_Fred
04-11-2005, 12:51 AM
I have faced the same or similar problem. Using ADSL router and only one netcard. Knoppix 3.8.1 found two interfaces: eth0 and eth1. Shouldn't it find only one? As a result, I'd never knew which one to set. First of all I've chose eth0 and no DHCP. It worked fine but, after booting, got stucked and couldn't even ping any address.

Thanks.

Harry Kuhman
04-11-2005, 01:15 AM
I have faced the same or similar problem. Using ADSL router and only one netcard. ...... It sounds like your "same or similar problem" is completely different. JustinSL is trying to use a USB network connection, a configuration that is not yet well supported in Knoppix (and a bad choice for several reasons). You indicate that you do have a network card. I don't see that there is much in common with your problems other than they both fit in the networking forum.

Rather than hijack the thread, you might want to to pick a subject line that defines your current problem (some mention that the computer sees two or too many ethernet ports might be appropriate) and start a thread on this subject, and include some information of what your hardware is (brand or motherboard make and model, NIC, other peripherals and so on). I have never seen Koppix report an extra ethernet port so it sound interesting, but you may have hardware that is a know issue (like a firewire card), so trying to help you without knowing what your hardware is is somewhat difficult.

And if you connect to a router by an ethernet NIC, don't you have DHCP enabled in the router? You say you don't know which ethernet port to "set". But on all of the systems that I've been connecting through routers, I never set anything (except for wireless connections), I just let Knoppix get it's setup through dhcp at boot time.Knoppix boots, finds the working interface, and I can browse the web as soon as the boot is ready. No setting at all, running from a live CD.

JustinSL
04-11-2005, 02:10 AM
So Knoppix 3.7 was lucky?

linux_Fred
04-12-2005, 02:34 PM
Hi Harry

Sorry, but had no intention to hijacking. It was my first posting and I was with some doubts about this issue. I will open a new thread regarding this theme.

Thanks,

Elevus
04-25-2005, 11:54 AM
yes i have same problem and i tried to connect to the internet ethernet connection and usb connection same cable modem it did not work Knoppix 3.7 not find audigy 2 sound card but find cable modem and Knoppix 3.8.1 find audigy 2 sound card and not find cable modem this is very interesting :roll: have any idea?

Elevus
04-25-2005, 02:38 PM
i made connection with this http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=82705#82705 topic