PDA

View Full Version : booting knoppix 3.8.1 in a VMware guest crashes RH 9.0 host

tinybox
04-10-2005, 05:40 PM
the host, (RH 9) is also running linux-2.6.11. Vmware is VMware workstation 4.5. The virtual machine boots knoppix-3.7 without problems. If I boot the knoppix 3.8.1 iso image (no changes to the virtual machine config) then the _host_ completely hangs shortly after knoppix logs the detection of AGP.

I have disabled a whole variety of functions: acpi=off, nousb, nopcmcia, noagp ... no difference! complete hangs all the time. Selecting the alternate kernel (linux-2.6.1) yields the same results.

A side remark: I tried to install knoppix 3.8.1 on a different machine using knoppix-installer. That machine was successfully running an installed knoppix 3.7 before. During installation I received tons of error messages, permission denied, files not found, directories not existing.... and... yes, of course I did a "sudo su" before I was running knoppix-installer. The installation somehow finished.. needless to say that the endresult didn't render a bootable system.

tinybox
04-12-2005, 02:12 PM
VMware-Workstation 5.0 fixes the problem. No other changes to required neither to host nor Knoppix. No idea what the root cause is. I would say it can't be all just Knoppix' fault. An ill-behaved guest must never crash the host.

T_H_E_O_N_E
04-13-2005, 07:55 PM
When i installed a virtual Linux Machine and i power it on, i come to the play where you can press F2 and that. Then the wait screen comes up and then the screen goes black and nothing happen.

I tried both using from the iso and i made a tried physical drive using a virtual CD-rom manager.

The Knoppix file i installed is: KNOPPIX_V3.8.1-2005-04-08-EN
and with it a part file com with it.

I dont know witch version it is and what linux system i should install.
But i dont think thats make any mather.