PDA

View Full Version : Boots on 1 PC but not on the other ???

travlr
04-11-2005, 08:04 AM
Hi.

On my "old" P4 2.6 boots into KDE no problem...

On my new P4 3.6 EM64T, it starts the init process... gets to where it says:--> INIT: version 2.78-knoppix booting... and thats it. It gets totally stuck; I have to "pull the plug" to get it to re-boot or be able to extract the cd. Any ideas?

The EM64T is an IA-32 "w/extended 64bit Arch" x-86. I've had no problems booting w/ Gentoo's x-86 Live-CD. This has me puzzled.

Thanks for your help,
travlr

Harry Kuhman
04-11-2005, 08:34 AM
Any ideas?

Because of hardware differences you might need to use cheat codes. What codes I would not know. See the wiki article on cheat codes by following the documentation link at the top of the page.

You may have burnt the CD at high speed. We have seen a lot of problems with CDs burnt at high speed, they frequently will boot on some systems but not others. I recommend always burning the CD at 4x if your burner and software will let you, never burn it faster than 8x.

You didn't say what version of Knoppix this is. I needed cheat codes with versions 3.4 to 3.7 on one of my systems (others always booted without them), but 3.8.1 boots fine on that system with no cheat codes (your results may vary).

travlr
04-11-2005, 06:41 PM
Any ideas?

Because of hardware differences you might need to use cheat codes. What codes I would not know. See the wiki article on cheat codes by following the documentation link at the top of the page.

You may have burnt the CD at high speed. We have seen a lot of problems with CDs burnt at high speed, they frequently will boot on some systems but not others. I recommend always burning the CD at 4x if your burner and software will let you, never burn it faster than 8x.

You didn't say what version of Knoppix this is. I needed cheat codes with versions 3.4 to 3.7 on one of my systems (others always booted without them), but 3.8.1 boots fine on that system with no cheat codes (your results may vary).

Hi, and thank you for responding,

I used V3.8.1 and cdr burned at 4x; w/ a small little app called BurnCDCC. The md5sum was good upon dload and CDCC did a "read verify".

I will research cheat codes now.

Thanks.
travlr

Gnu Penguin
04-13-2005, 04:57 PM
Sorry to step all over this post, but I , too am having problems booting Knoppix version 3.7 on one computer, but it works fine on the other... (please note I haven't tried Version 3.8 yet).

I have been using Knoppix since version 2.9, and have never had this problem before.

Both machines are old. The one that is working is a Pentium 1 233MMX with 128 MB EDO RAM on a lovely PCCHIPS i430vx MOBO.
IT WORKS!

The other is an AMD k62-550 with 256MB PC-100 SDRAM on an ASUS P5A (Aladdin V chipset). Video is a 16 MB PCI NVidia TNT card that I prefer to run Without the NVIDIA drivers to avoid problems. (I can live without Open GL).

Knoppix has always worked with this computer, most recently with version 3.6.

So, I guess my question is, what happened between versions 3.6 and 3.7 that may be causing this???

IThe computer boots to KDE (mostly) off the CD then just freezes. Can't even BEGIN to try Knoppix-installer.

Interestingly, Kubuntu 5.04 does the same thing, but these are the only two I have EVER had problems with on my trusty K6-2 550.

PS This box in question is happily running Mepis, and I am posting from it now.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

Respectfully,

UPDATE

As many of you may have guessed, it turns out that the problem was related to my BIOS settings. I had flashed my BIOS (sorry that I neglected to mention this small detail :^) and the new "default" settings it gave me were a little askew. Specifically, the setting entitled PCI LATENCY TIMER (choices were 0 to 255) defaulted to a setting of 0. When I changed this back to 32, probably what the default should be, everything worked fine.

All is well in KNOPPIX land, and I now have a date with knoppix-installer.

---The Manglement.