PDA

View Full Version : Partition Size V3.7 and 20GB HD

rec9140
04-11-2005, 03:59 PM
OK, I've reviewed various posts on partition sizes and just don't see a consensus on how to break things down other than for swap.

Since I get various size HD's coming in all the time I've decided to take one of the larger ones thats come in to the parts bin recently and put it to use.

So whats the best way to partition up a 20GB for knoppix other than just root and swap.

I'd ideally like something that in the future would be easy to do upgrades as successive versions come out with out doing a lot of backup/restore operations

The machine has 160MB RAM so I plan on either a 512MB or 1GB swap, probably 1GB just to be easy. So then what?

root
home
usr

Sizes? Other partitions? ? All will be ext3 plus the 1GB swap.

Lets have comments on the best way to do this with ease of upgrade for the future for BOTH Knoppix and INSTALLED APPS

Thanks in advance.

fingers99
04-12-2005, 12:01 AM
The easiest way would be something like a 6GB drive to hold / and swap (but half a gig is ample swap) and a 20GB drive as /home. That would allow for an easy peasy reinstall/update.

But if you're set on using one drive then:

/4Gb
swap 1/2Gb
/home the rest

I've used the seperate /home to go from 3.3 to 3.4 to 3.6 (next step may be to go to Kanotix). My /home is now 120Gb with a seperate drive for mp3s and video stuff mounted on to of that!

rec9140
04-12-2005, 05:53 AM
The easiest way would be something like a 6GB drive to hold / and swap (but half a gig is ample swap) and a 20GB drive as /home. That would allow for an easy peasy reinstall/update. But if you're set on using one drive then:

Thats a good idea, but unfortunately this PC is max'd out on the IDE bus the primary has a HD, that can not be changed, plus the secondary for Linux. The second IDE channel has a 32x CD-ROM and a ancient 6206 CD-RW in it. I've got an old NEC 4x4 drive still in the case (full tower ) that I had to disconnect since Linux doesn't seem to like them and I needed the IDE slot for the Linux HD. Probably going to move it to another old PC so I can put it back to use.

Unfortunately making alot of changes to the hardware here is not possible for a couple of legacy reasons. I need to leave the one HD in for now.

I'll consider this route when I build the next uber PC for the linux side

/4Gb
swap 1/2Gb
/home the rest

This looks to be the way I'll go.