PDA

View Full Version : Are Prism2 wireless cards supported in Knoppix 3.8.1?

aebp
04-11-2005, 05:14 PM
Has anyone read any information regarding this issue? I'm having trouble finding the wlanctl-ng command.

y23
04-13-2005, 01:02 PM
You are not the only one... my DWL-122 is now driver-less.

It used to be cryptic commands but fairly simple. On older Knoppix I just ran

rmmod prism2_usb
modprobe prism2_usb
wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_ifstate ifstate=enable
and so on (newbie looking for howto .. search google for above line)

no such luck on knoppix 3.8

JoeRoot
05-14-2005, 05:13 PM
Prism2_isb.o and friends are on 3.7 (at least in the professional edition). But only for the 2.4 kernel, there is no prism2_usb.ko. Knoppix 3.8.1 uses a '2.6.11 SMP preemt 386 gcc 3.3' kernel. With more restrictive version checks in the 2.6 kernels, you need kernel modules for exactly that kernel (or, but I don't know the details, module versions, which usually are not enabled in a kernel). Google finds some wlan-ng packages (look for linux-wlan-ng-2.6.11) built for 2.6.11 kernels, but the ones I saw and tried do not load. Dmesg shows the reason: a version mismatch with the above kernel version (where I assume the missing SMP is the killer, but I don't know, yet). Also, 'insmod -f' does not (or does no longer) do what you might expect it would do for you.

You can get the sources, but, you can't compile them with Knoppix 3.8.1. The kernel include files are there, but for 2.6 kernel modules you need more, a real Makefile (not a leftover one) and scripts.

The only way is to get someone with the above kernel to compile the modules for us. At least Klaus should have one.

aebp
06-03-2005, 08:32 PM
thanks for the reply, does anyone know if this problem has been fixed in version 3.8.2?

John Mathieson
06-15-2005, 03:21 AM
thanks for the reply, does anyone know if this problem has been fixed in version 3.8.2?

I don't think so. I have tried my cisco 350 adapter and it does not work. It works fine in older versions of knoppix.