PDA

View Full Version : Syncing with Palm Tunsgten

Gros104
04-12-2005, 01:43 AM
Hi all.

Just wondering if it is possible to sync/backup my Palm Tungsten to a USB flashdrive using Knoppix Live?

Thanks.

OErjan
04-12-2005, 07:16 PM
i frequently sync my palm 515 so it should work well.

Gros104
04-13-2005, 12:42 PM
Hi, OErjan. Thanks for your reply.

I use Kpilot on my Suse 9.2 install to sync, but I can't see any option that lets you sync the Palm's contents to a preferred location (i.e. USB Key). With that in mind, how do you do it?

Regards,
Gros104

OErjan
04-13-2005, 07:03 PM
eee? there is a setting in there somewhere. i am going to check.
EDIT
have no computer with knoppix jkust now it seems, be back tomorow.
/EDIT

Gros104
04-14-2005, 12:39 PM
Actually, I just had another read of the doc that comes with Kpilot, and it says in Chapter 5 "Syncing your Palmpilot with a PC" that all data is stored in the (and I quote) '$KDEHOME/share/apps/kpilot/DBBackup/User Name/ folder'.

So I assume that if a USB key is used to store user details, etc, while the live CD is being used, any data from a Palm sync will automatically be written to the USB key.

OErjan
04-14-2005, 04:38 PM
indeed yes. and you can make one step further and copy the info manually if you want i guess.
i am still trying to get a good download of knoppix 3.8.1, i seem to have troublesome line.

Yamamoto
04-15-2005, 05:12 AM
Good Luck. Linux hates USB Palm Pilots; I've spent many an hour playing with J Pilot and have only managed to synch via serial port. I even tried via Bluetooth. No dice. And K Pilot will drive ya spare.

Gros104
04-15-2005, 02:27 PM
indeed yes. and you can make one step further and copy the info manually if you want i guess.
i am still trying to get a good download of knoppix 3.8.1, i seem to have troublesome line.

I've only got dial-up (can't get broadband in my area yet). So I usually get my LInux off Coverdisks or other contacts. I recently saw Knoppix 3.7 on a Linux mag, and nearly bought that, but I think I'll wait till I get my grubby hands on 3.8 and its 2.6 kernel.

Yamamoto, I think ease of syncing USB palms depends on the Linux distro and kernel version you are using. I'm only a relatively new Linux user, so I've only ever used Linux flavours with the 2.6 kernel, which apparently, offers much better USB support than previous versions. With Suse 9.2, I was lucky enough to sync the palm without having to do any fiddling around. With Mandy 10, all I had to do was find which USB port it was syncing on, and where it was located in the /dev directory structure.

Hopefully it will be OK with Knoppix as well.

OErjan
04-15-2005, 05:16 PM
i use both USB and serial to sync my palm, works well. you just have to find the right "device" under /dev/,.
atleast with my computer.