PDA

View Full Version : using Knoppix as VNC viewer

anselmoso
04-12-2005, 02:02 AM
Hi,

I want to use Knoppix on a PC as VNC viewer host.
The purpose is to remote control my main-PC with another PC which has no hard-drive integrated. But it seems that there's no VNC packaged with Knoppix (anymore?). Is there any way to use the VNC viewer on Knoppix without a hard drive installed? Maybe I could build a custom Knoppix CD?
Or maybe there's another Live CD / Knoppix variant with VNC integrated?

Thanks for the replies,
Ben

quickbasicguru
04-12-2005, 02:33 AM
I could use VNC in version 3.6 of knoppix. (I used kde's remote desktop connection, just in case you were wondering)

Harry Kuhman
04-12-2005, 04:25 AM
But it seems that there's no VNC packaged with Knoppix (anymore?).

Internet->Remote Desktop

anselmoso
04-12-2005, 02:51 PM
alright, so this is just a VNC client that comes with KDE?
Because the pc which is running as VNC server is a windows machine. I thought this is a KDE-specific remote-desktop-application.
But if this is the standard VNC protocol integrated in KDE then everything is fine.

UnderScore
04-12-2005, 03:31 PM
> But if this is the standard VNC protocol integrated in KDE then everything is fine.
As far as I can tell you are correct, the KDE remote desktop application is KDE's VNC client.

Harry Kuhman
04-12-2005, 06:01 PM
alright, so this is just a VNC client that comes with KDE?
Because the pc which is running as VNC server is a windows machine. I thought this is a KDE-specific remote-desktop-application.
But if this is the standard VNC protocol integrated in KDE then everything is fine.
VNC is intended to be a cross platform protocol. I didn't test it when I made the above post. I just believed what I saw on the screen (and others had pointed me to this as a VNC client). But I just tried it, fired up a VNC server on my windows desktop and tried to connect from a 3.8 Live CD on the system next to it. No luck. Apparently this is not quite VNC. If it's only KDE to KDE then I have no idea why they bother to support both VNC and RDP, but from my experiment it seems useless. Sad, I know I was able to do true VNC connections to my Win98 system from Knoppix with an old Live CD. Yet another thing that seems to have been lost.

anselmoso
04-12-2005, 06:07 PM
VNC is intended to be a cross platform protocol. I didn't test it when I made the above post. I just believed what I saw on the screen (and others had pointed me to this as a VNC client). But I just tried it, fired up a VNC server on my windows desktop and tried to connect from a 3.8 Live CD on the system next to it. No luck. Apparently this is not quite VNC. If it's only KDE to KDE then I have no idea why they bother to support both VNC and RDP, but from my experiment it seems useless. Sad, I know I was able to do true VNC connections to my Win98 system from Knoppix with an old Live CD. Yet another thing that seems to have been lost.

oh - this doesn't sound very good, at all!!!
well i still have a knoppix 3.6 here. maybe this one will do....hopefully...

but anyway, isn't there any way to copy the standard vnc viewer onto a floppy disk and just mount this disk under knoppix 3.8 and then execute the vnc viewer from disk?

Harry Kuhman
04-12-2005, 06:13 PM
oh - this doesn't sound very good, at all!!!
well i still have a knoppix 3.6 here. maybe this one will do....hopefully...

but anyway, isn't there any way to copy the standard vnc viewer onto a floppy disk and just mount this disk under knoppix 3.8 and then execute the vnc viewer from disk?
I don't know enough about installing applications in Linux to know. There might be dependency issue, I'm not sure. With the magic 3.8 file system maybe one can just "install" a viewer, or maybe Probono can make one available by klik. But again these are things outside my limited experience.