PDA

View Full Version : file permissions (chmod doesnt seem to do anything)

mmcfly8888
04-12-2005, 02:29 AM
First of all, Linux is amazing. Knoppix is my first experience with it, but I have always wanted to try it, and now that I finally got DSL I downloaded the iso quickly and burned it! I use IceWM, because KDE runs a bit slow for me, and it is all good except one or two things....

1st off.... Hard drive access... I use icewm, so to mount my harddrive I:
open root shell
mkdir /hd
mount /dev/hda1 /hd
cd /hd
ls -1
Here it displays my hard drive's contents, and it is all good, i can cd over to any directory, but, i have to start apps from root shell to be able to access the hardrive, so its kind of stupid to even have the start menu. i tried to chmod the "my documents" and some other personal directories for rwx permissions, but when i enter the command nothing at all happens. I ls -l again and the permissions are exactly the same. I also try it for individual files, and i even tried it with a 8.3 DOS filename instead of a long file name..... no go. the permissions do not change... so is there anyway to either... give root permissions to the start menu, or get chmod working right? (maybe i'm doing it wrong)
one other thing... what is the shell command for openoffice, because it doesnt appear in the icewm menu
thanks,
nick

Dave_Bechtel
04-12-2005, 05:39 AM
--Post results of ' fdisk -l '

--First off, chmod will do nothing to Windows filesystems (fat, fat32, ntfs) - it only works on *nix filesystems (ext2, minix, reiserfs, etc.) To change things there, look at ' man mount ' and look for "filesystem specific mount options". You can then create an entry in /etc/fstab that applies whichever options you want.

' dpkg -L openoffice.org-bin ' == Will list the binary files for OO.

First of all, Linux is amazing. Knoppix is my first experience with it, but I have always wanted to try it, and now that I finally got DSL I downloaded the iso quickly and burned it! I use IceWM, because KDE runs a bit slow for me, and it is all good except one or two things....

1st off.... Hard drive access... I use icewm, so to mount my harddrive I:
open root shell
mkdir /hd
mount /dev/hda1 /hd
cd /hd
ls -1
Here it displays my hard drive's contents, and it is all good, i can cd over to any directory, but, i have to start apps from root shell to be able to access the hardrive, so its kind of stupid to even have the start menu. i tried to chmod the "my documents" and some other personal directories for rwx permissions, but when i enter the command nothing at all happens. I ls -l again and the permissions are exactly the same. I also try it for individual files, and i even tried it with a 8.3 DOS filename instead of a long file name..... no go. the permissions do not change... so is there anyway to either... give root permissions to the start menu, or get chmod working right? (maybe i'm doing it wrong)
one other thing... what is the shell command for openoffice, because it doesnt appear in the icewm menu
thanks,
nick

mmcfly8888
04-13-2005, 02:47 AM
thanks, I just added a simple users,dev,exec,suid line to fstab..........this is awesome!!
-Nick

mmcfly8888
04-15-2005, 03:02 AM
Hey, sorry about this but the openoffice thing didn't work. I am using the LiveCD, it isnt installed on my HD(I dont know if i mentioned that before)
the message i get after entering that command is that the package is not installed. Is it possible to get to openoffice from icewm?

Dave_Bechtel
04-15-2005, 03:15 AM
' dpkg -l |grep office ' and then go from there...

Hey, sorry about this but the openoffice thing didn't work. I am using the LiveCD, it isnt installed on my HD(I dont know if i mentioned that before)
the message i get after entering that command is that the package is not installed. Is it possible to get to openoffice from icewm?

mmcfly8888
04-16-2005, 05:01 AM
Hate to be an annoying little newbie, but I have no idea what to do from here... that command returns
ii openoffice-de- 1.1.3-1 The OpenOffice suite, see http://www.openoff
ii ttf-openoffice 1.0-2 OpenOffice TrueType Fonts

I found the package in "KPackage" and it says it is installed

' dpkg -l |grep office ' and then go from there...

mmcfly8888
04-16-2005, 05:15 AM
I figured it out: the command is simply "soffice" becuase of staroffice. Thanks, nick