PDA

View Full Version : trouble booting version 3.7

justamailman
04-12-2005, 03:28 AM
I have downloaded v 3.7 . It took me several days being on dial up. I have set up the bios for CDrom than tried to boot with Knoppix in . But nothing is happening, no boot from CD instead it goes to my hardrive and boot windows normally. I have to say that I have a boot manager "bootit" because I have 2 hard drives one with XP home and the other XP PRP. Could that be the problem. How come I can't even explore the CD? What is next to solve the problem. You understand that I hesitate to restart the download being so long and days of waiting

atrick-pay
04-12-2005, 04:01 AM
I have TeraByte BootIt only problem I found was that if I tried to boot the cd through
BootIt (I.E. next boot device or CD option) then Knoppix would start to
load then fail. but once I went to bios and changed boot order to CD first I didn't have a problem.

I guess if your sure your CD drive is bootable (loads a windows CD or the like)
then maybe try unpluging the HDDs that way they couldn't boot for sure.

justamailman
04-13-2005, 09:39 PM
I have try many thing nothing works

UnderScore
04-13-2005, 09:47 PM
How did you burn the ISO file to the CDR? Did you burn it as a image? The resulting CDR should have on it:
/boot
/KNOPPIX
/autorun.bat
/autorun.inf
/autorun
/cdrom.ico
/index.html

If you do not see anything like that then it was not burned properly. Please specify your CDR burning software so that either myself or others can help you.

justamailman
04-13-2005, 09:55 PM
all I see on it is this
KNOPPIX v 3.7 - 2004-08-12-EN.iso
. I suppose that is why now

justamailman
04-14-2005, 12:20 AM
I have Nero 5.5 but usually I burn with the installed wizard in windows. Please help

Harry Kuhman
04-14-2005, 12:31 AM
I have Nero 5.5 but usually I burn with the installed wizard in windows. Please help
Use Nero. Details in the downloading faq found by following the documentation link at the top of the page. You have to burn the iso as an image, available from the Nero 5.5 file menu. If you downloaded from a mrror make sure that you check the md5 sum. And burn at a slow speed (I suggest 4x). Do not drag the file into the file area, do not select any option to make it bootable.

UnderScore
04-14-2005, 12:33 AM
Before doing anything, check the Downloading FAQ at the top of the this page.
Home | About | Get Knoppix | Documentation (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/) | Forum | Bugs | Contact | » Knopper.net | » Software Patents

You will need to verify the md5sum of your downloaded KNOPPIX ISO file. This is to ensure that the file you downloaded is indeed acurate & not corrupt. From the Downloading FAQ:
Q: What are these strange MD5 files that accompany the ISO CD images?

A: The files with the .md5 extension contain checksums for the actual CD ISO images (http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/iso). A checksum is a "matching number" for checking files. One can verify that the file matches its original down to the smallest detail. When you download both the ISO image for the CD and its corresponding .md5 file, you can verify that your download was complete and that the contents are unchanged by typing "md5sum -c filename.md5" under Linux/Unix.

Further information about MD5 and programs for various OS's can be found at LinuxISO.org (http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/verifyiso.html) and The MD5 Protocol Documentation (http://www.fourmilab.ch/md5/). You can download a Windows™ version at this site (http://www.toast442.org/md5gui.shtml).
If you have verified the md5sums then please continue.

As for burning the ISO image, don't use the wizard. Try the File menu then Open. In the file open dialog box see if you set the file type filter to ISO. If you can set it to ISO type, find and choose the Knoppix ISO file. Then burn it.
If that does not work then see if there is an entry in the File menu called something like "Burn from Image". Again if this exists you will find and choose the Knoppix ISO file and burn that.

Here is a guide that describes burning Knoppix with Nero 6. I am not suggesting that you have to get Nero 6 but this guide might make it easier to understand the process. http://www.rocketfodder.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/MySite/Burning_Linux_Live_CD's_With_Nero_page1.htm

I hope this helps.
James

Harry Kuhman
04-14-2005, 12:37 AM
As for burning the ISO image, don't use the wizard. Try the File menu then Open.
Actually James, this is what you have to do in Nero 6 but Nero 5.x is different. I'm pretty sure it's described in the wiki information, but the command to burn from an image is somewhat lower down the list of commands in the file menu, not the open command.

justamailman
04-14-2005, 01:29 AM
but I dont see any md5 files how can I check than sorry of my ignorance

justamailman
04-14-2005, 01:39 AM
but I dont see any md5 files how can I check than sorry of my ignorance and I just realize that I have Nero 5 and not 5.5 . Cant find file menu in here but there was an option of burning image I choose that it brought me to open files choose (iso nrg ) than saw the iso . file to burn choose it and burn it and iot did but end result is a nrg file that is all

Harry Kuhman
04-14-2005, 01:40 AM
but I dont see any md5 files how can I check than sorry of my ignorance
There should be md5 files on the same site that you got your iso from. If not, all of the mirrors should have the same ISO files, so the md5 from any of the mirrors would work. Just be sure that you get the one with the same name as your ISO file, just with an md5 on the end.

justamailman
04-14-2005, 02:27 AM
the check sum is ok but I guess my Nero is not

atrick-pay
04-14-2005, 03:25 AM
For those without ISO burning ability (most new HP computers don't come with anything to burn ISO)
TeraByte has a great little (sigh Windows) program. http://terabyteunlimited.com/downloads/burncdcc.zip

justamailman
04-14-2005, 03:30 AM
thank you all I finally got it done with my Nero 5 as described before but used a speed of 4X and it work this time

justamailman
04-14-2005, 01:33 PM
Interesting but can we connect on the net from this to see it working and is there a cost to it?

Harry Kuhman
04-14-2005, 02:03 PM
Interesting but can we connect on the net from this to see it working and is there a cost to it?
I do not understand what you are asking here. You might want to reword this and ask again.

thank you all I finally got it done with my Nero 5 as described before but used a speed of 4X and it work this time
I'm glad that you got it working this time. Too many people don't seem to believe the warnings about needing to burn the disk slowly. I'm not clear on why you had so much trouble with Nero 5.x though, even after you were aimed in the right direction, Could you explain what caused the confusion so that we might know to avoid it with others?

justamailman
04-14-2005, 02:26 PM
Sorry for my english
well I think the problem was the driver(myself), not very litterate in ISO process. I did probably burn it before but too fast and it give me a file .nrg alone. Like I said before my Nero there is no file menu so I was confused there but finally saw at the bottom disc image and tried that first too fast and than as you suggest slowly but sure. I just open my Nero again and right at the beginning screen running it says again Nero 5.5 and in the program there is a popup somewhere inviting us to go to faster Nero 5.5 so I assume that I was not having it. Now I dont know what I have very confusing. When I said 5 it was after I had seen that popup.
For my last question I will try to be more clear. I boot with Knoppix, browse in there many place and saw that we can connect to the internet somewhere but could not configure it for some reason . I wanted to try the possibilities of Linux and see how everything work but again so new to all of this probably don't understand how to do it. May be there is something I am not aware of. Just would like to try it more. I hope it is better this time

Harry Kuhman
04-14-2005, 03:06 PM
For my last question I will try to be more clear. I boot with Knoppix, browse in there many place and saw that we can connect to the internet somewhere but could not configure it for some reason . I wanted to try the possibilities of Linux and see how everything work but again so new to all of this probably don't understand how to do it. May be there is something I am not aware of. Just would like to try it more. I hope it is better this time How you connect to the Internet depends on you and your service provider. Of course your service provider likely charges you for access, but there should be no additional cost for Knoppix or Linux. But sometimes because of poor equipment choices there are problems that do lead to extra expenses.

I connect through a DSL system. I always use a router with DSL. When I boot knoppix it get's it's configuration information automatically from the router, I'm on the Internet as soon as the boot finished (I usually just click on one of the links in the open browser window just to be sure everything is working). No setup is needed at all in this case, and nothing has been saved from session to session. I think that the same would be the case for a cable user even without a router, but one would be very foolish to run on high speed cable without the hardware firewall a router provides.

DSL users who insist on running without a router may need to run the PPPoE software (common in the U.S., or PPPoA software in the U.K.) Other areas may have slightly different versions of such software. Generally a hardware router sold in your area takes care of this for you, so if you are on DSL with a router you do not need to mess with PPPoE, without one you likely do.

High speed users who let themselves be provided with, or worse sold, a high speed connection with a USB interface rather than the more standard eithernet interface have more problems. There are some reports in these forums of people getting such things working, but they are a source of problems. And their use prevents the use of a hardware router, and the utility and protection it offers.

Dial-up users fall into two broad groups. Dial up users who have real hardware modems generally have no problems. Of course the software has to be told the number to dial, their account login information and so on, but most users seem to be able to deal with this. Unfortunately, a recent trend in modems is to replace much of the dedicate hardware with just a simple A to D , D to A chip and make the computer do much of the work by running specisl digital procesing software in the computer. Unfortunately, the software provided for this usually works only under Windoes and these modems have come to be marketed as "WinModems". This is an amazingly stupid trend, it sucks a lot of computing power and locks you into a lot of Operating System issues. Microsoft must like it and I expect they did a lot to promote it. It also makes very little sense in a world where even a greeting card may have a computer and the other costs for the computer's modem's circuit board, connections and the rest are already there. The real cost savings in making a WinModem rather than a real modem must be in pennies, not dollars, but the trend continues. The Linux world has writen their own software to get some such modems to work, but it's a problem with each new modem. Of you are on a dial-up service and have a real hardware modem then you should have no probblem dialing in with a Knoppix based system. If you have a software modem then your sucess may depend on what brand and model of modem (and what chipset it uses).

plmmsg
04-15-2005, 03:45 AM
Hi,

My final CD (V3.8) look like this, but still wont boot in Knoppix.
/boot
/KNOPPIX
/autorun.bat
/autorun.inf
/autorun
/cdrom.ico
/index.html

I am hving a Win 2K O/S with NTFS parition. Do you think this is the problem. Thanks.

Harry Kuhman
04-15-2005, 03:58 AM
I am hving a Win 2K O/S with NTFS parition. Do you think this is the problem. Thanks.
No, Knoppix has absolutely no problem booting when there are NTFS partitions. It must not write to them (for their sake, not for Knoppix's), but Knoppix defaults to opening any partition read only, so that's not really an issue. And it doesn't open the partitions until asked (except on old systems with too little memory, where it might ask you first and then create a swap file on a FAT partition if it needs one).

You just jumped in here with an answer to a question I didn't ask, so I really don't know what your situation is. It could be you didn't check an md5 sum and have a bad download from a mirror. It could be that you burned the CD at too high of a speed. It could be that you thought you knew what to do and extracted the files from the ISO with some tool like ISO buster and then burned them to a CD. It might even be that you need cheat codes, but you haven't given us much to go on yet.