PDA

View Full Version : Would this work?

robertall
04-12-2005, 11:56 AM
A friend told me that linux was designed for servers, so would it work on a 400MHZ processer computer with 192mb of RAM?

UnderScore
04-12-2005, 03:26 PM
Yes it should. I have run knoppix on a Pentium 133Mhz 128MB RAM. It was very slow but it worked. If you have further questions please search the forums as we have lots of questions & answers here.
I hope this helps.
James

robertall
04-12-2005, 08:52 PM
Thanks mate, i will install it on my computer, instead of using a CD.

fingers99
04-12-2005, 10:17 PM
Good man. It'll certainly run quicker if you use one of the other WMs, rather than KDE.

Harry Kuhman
04-12-2005, 10:26 PM
Knoppix will run on your system. But if you want to set up a server and you want to install it on a hard disk, you don't need or want much of the stuff that comes with Knoppix. You may not even want a GUI, and certainly not KDE that comes with Knoppix, just a command line interface. Since you are tinking about installing it to a hard drive, why not install Debian (the distro of Linux that Knoppix is made from) instead? That way you will avoid all of the mixed version issues that are seen with knoppix and you'll be able to just install the applications that you really want. You wouldn't have to try to remove anything that you didn't want since you will not have installed it in the first place.