PDA

View Full Version : how do I enable ssh on kx 3.8.1

cli168
04-13-2005, 10:36 PM
Can someone tell me how to enable ssh on kx 3.8.1?

Thanks,
Charles Li

eco2geek
04-14-2005, 07:11 AM
When running from the live CD:

In KDE, go to the Knoppix menu (it's the "penguin" icon to the right of the "K menu" on the kicker bar at the bottom of the screen). Select "Services > Start SSH Server."

Take a moment to look through the menus, if you haven't already. See what's there.

dlong_
04-28-2006, 05:52 PM
Hm.

I have a computer that's booting normally, but the video card isn't working properly.

Is there a way to boot into Knoppix from the live CD and enable the ssh server without a monitor?

(I.e. what are the keystrokes that you could use to enable the ssh server without using a mouse? Or... is there a service running by default or that could be started that would allow me to enable the ssh server from remote?)

UnderScore
04-28-2006, 06:40 PM
All this assumes that you are on a LAN with DHCP enabled so that the machine will automatically get an IP address.

when knoppix boots off the CD it will wait at the boot splash screen, enter the command:
knoppix 2

After some minutes go by, knoppix will boot to a root enabled command prompt. change the root user's password: passwd

Then type in a temporary password followed by the ENTER key. It needs you to confirm it so type in that same temporary password followed by the ENTER key.

Then run the sshd service: /etc/init.d/sshd start

Then from another machine try to connect to it via ssh. I know that a machine on my LAN will get a 192.168.1.0/24 address, and I will guess that a this machine will get 192.168.1.12. Use the ssh client from another machine:
ssh root@192.168.1.12

You will know if it is working when you see stanard ssh connection info.

dlong_
04-28-2006, 08:03 PM
That is excellent!

I checked over at the Knoppix wiki before asking the question. I will update the wiki so the information is available to other users.

Thanks.