PDA

View Full Version : packages

mogz
04-11-2003, 05:07 AM
im guessing that if im booting from the cd i cannot use apt-get to install
packages? (or in that case, cannot add any programs to my system apart from what is already there?)

if this can be done, can someone show me how or point me to an faq that describes the procedurE?
thanks

roberto
04-11-2003, 05:44 AM
To be blunt.

Knoppix has a Read-Only filesystem while running off of the cd. So err... no it isn't feasable to install packages while running from cd.

What is required on the other hand, is to do a remaster of the cd-rom... I.E. copying the contents of the cd to the hard drive... adding / removing programs as you would like, and then burning a new cd containing knoppix.

This process is both easier and more difficult than i previously stated but a good instruction guide can be found here [plug][plug]:

http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=15745&group_id=70773

There are other documents to be found on that site as well... Another good place to start would be in the Docs page of this very website. I.E. on the link at the top of this page.

If you need specific answers to your questions please visit the IRC chat channel #knoppix found using irc.debian.org in your local irc chat client. one such client included on the KNOPPIX cd is the xchat program found in the Internet sub-menu.

Have fun!

toast