PDA

View Full Version : Logon to ADSL Connection

jamesbrown
04-15-2005, 02:12 PM
I am new. And I hate Windows. But my ISP requires that I logon to my ADSL account.
I would like to remove windows and never use in again. By I can not use my ISP because of the Logon thing.
Here are my questions.
n00b question I guess.
1) What is the root shell password? ( Default )
2) How do I set my DSL connection to Logoon to the network? ( With User Name and Password )
3) How would I save all my settings on shut down?

Why do I want to leave Windows. Well because it sucks. All major Viruses , Spyware, Adware, trojins, and so on are made for windows. Windows crashes to much for no reason. Windows corrupts my Drivers daily. And most of all. MicroSoft cost to dang on much to protect.

I have ran Linux before on a regular old SDL connect. ( Alwas on connection ) And I liked it.

Please help out a mad at Windblows user to kick the MicroSucks habbit.

P.S I just downloaded the lattest vertion of Knoppix on April 15, 2005.

Harry Kuhman
04-15-2005, 03:31 PM
P.S I just downloaded the lattest vertion of Knoppix on April 15, 2005.It would be more useful to give a version number (like 3.8.1) than when you downloaded it, since you didn't say where you got it and the site you did might not be current.

... my ISP requires that I logon to my ADSL account.
I would like to remove windows and never use in again. By I can not use my ISP because of the Logon thing. Here's an important question that you didn't give us the information for: Do you connect to your DSL modem by Ethernet or by USB?

If you connect by Ethernet, then I can't stress enough that you should be using a DSL/Cable router. Some Ethernet modems have a router built in, but since yours apparently does not you should add pne on. They have become incrediably cheap, frequently ten dollars or less after rebate (you can get a Netgear router that workes both wired and wireless for $5 after rebate tonight at CompUSA in their Midnight Madness sale). With a router, the router takes care of all the login stuff and you don't have to make any setup at all in Knoppix (or Windows). You just boot and are on-line. And it provides a lot of extra utility and an important hardware firewall.

There is PPPoE software on the Knoppix CD that you would use if you don't use a router. I have no experience with it for the above reason.

If you have a USB interface to your DSL modem, well, too bad. Some people have been able to get some USB interfaces to work under Knoppix, but my best advice is to insist on an ethernet interfae and to use a router. USB interfaces do not work with routers (unless one is built into the DSL modem).

Please don't post questions and make them sticky.

jamesbrown
04-15-2005, 09:57 PM
KNOPPIX_V3.8.1-2005-04-08-EN.iso
From Knoppix.org
Ethernet.

Harry Kuhman
04-15-2005, 10:50 PM
KNOPPIX_V3.8.1-2005-04-08-EN.iso / From Knoppix.org / Ethernet.
That's the newest version, my above recommendations still apply, get an Ethernet DSL/Cable router and you will be very happy and not have to configure anything in Knoppix (lack of this device and the hardware firewall it provides is likely a very big part of why you are unhappy with Windows). If you insist on running without one, look for the PPPoE setup in Knoppix.

jamesbrown
04-16-2005, 10:23 PM
Thanks Harry Kuhman

I would like to learn how to setup the PPPoE correctly. I understand the router bit. However I work off a 24 port hub. And have to many wires running as is. I also understand that routers have firewalls built-in.
I have tryed wireless for this network. However the "Pro" that installed it did not close it all off to public access. Theirfore we pitched it all out.