PDA

View Full Version : configuring a crossover connection

wannessmet
04-15-2005, 06:00 PM
Hi I'm wanting to create a crossover connection between 2 laptop's running both knoppix 3.7 from the cd to backup one laptop to another. How am I supposed to configure it with the Network card configurator? Wich values am I supposed to fill in for ip adress / netmask / gatway ... for both laptops.

Thx

Wannes Smet

OErjan
04-15-2005, 06:24 PM
i would use a plain

ifconfig 192.168.0.2 on the one you wqant to back up and
ifconfig 192.168.0.3 on the other.
just type that in a console. then start the ssh server on the one you want to retrieve files from.

after this you mount a (non NTFS) partiton read write on the computer you want to move the files TO. and then you open conqueror type
fish://192.168.0.2/ in the adressbar, this opens a conection and alow you to copy the files to the mounted partition.

wannessmet
04-16-2005, 09:35 AM
What exactly is the role of the ssh server? I have an idea what it is but not clearly

Thx for the straightforward explanation already

Wannes Smet

OErjan
04-16-2005, 10:12 AM
sshserver makes it possible to use securly encrypted comunication between two computers AND it contains a sftp (secure ftp)server that is EXTREMLY fast to setup.
just start the sshdaemon and of you go. you MAY have to suply a password for knoppix but i doubt it.
you can not get a much simpler setup imho.

OErjan
04-16-2005, 10:58 AM
i know you do not need the encryption, but sftp is easyest to get working, sounds odd but is true.
just klick penguin icon then services then you klick start ssh server
now you just give a password to knoppix.
you then go to other computer and start konqueror type fish://knoppix@ipnumber then you wil be asked for a password, as simple as that in 95% of cases.
EDIT
you may want to use konqueror as filemanager and use a extra tab to copy paste to
/EDIT

wannessmet
05-11-2005, 08:55 PM
Well, the first thing worked but now the situation changed.

I have one computer directly connected to the internet (ADSL) and one laptop and one other normal computer connected trough crossover cables so I have eth0 eth1 and eth2 so how should I configure this one? I cannot get them connected.

How does conqueror know which eht device I am using to get to - or my laptop - or my other computer? I think it's not the same netword is it?

Wannes

wannessmet
05-11-2005, 09:13 PM
forgot to start ssh server, that's propably why it didn't work, anyway, how does konqueror know what ethX (0, 1, or 2) to use

Wannes

OErjan
05-12-2005, 06:52 PM
you have to have diferent "set" of ipnumbers on each network. as i have no idea what order you have things conected i just give a possible case.
eth0 is 192.168.0.X
eth1 is192.168.1.X
notice the diference that the second "series" (the number/s separated with dots) from right is a 1 not a 0.
eth2 213.XXX.YYY.ZZ this is because your internet provider likely uses an completly difetrent range of ipadresses.
this way your computer can easily tell them apart.
it "may" be possible to use same but it wil make the network DEAD slow, like a few bytes second MAX, that is 1-2b/s instead of 10 000 000b/s, actually it should be only the errors coming trough...