PDA

View Full Version : Symlink for a printer driver

asearle
04-16-2005, 12:45 PM
I have installed drivers for a Canon i560 using 'alien' to convert the rpm's found on the canon site and that seemed to work OK. Indeed, the printer driver is now visible in the CUPS menu. However it still does not print.

I did some more research on various HOWTO sites and it looks like I need to add some 'symlinks'. Here is an snippet from the instructions:

> alien doesn't preserve the symlinks that are in the rpm. This prevents the cups-filter from running, and there are no messages detailing what
> was wrong. To fix this, add these symlinks in /usr/lib:
>
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 33 Jun 25 23:36 libcnbpcmcm156.so -> /usr/lib/libcnbpcmcm156.so.5.71.2

Here I am not exactly sure how I should go about adding 'symlinks': Do I need to move files to /usr/lib? Or is this a declaration in a config file? And do I need to set permissions (e.g. lrwxrwxrwx)?

I have looked in the manual and googled for more information on symlinks but each article seems to assume that you already know how they are handled. Maybe someone can point me towards a beginners HOWTO for symlinks?

Any other information on experiences people have had installing Canon i560 would be a great help.

Regards,
Alan Searle.

Markus
04-16-2005, 10:02 PM
You can have a look at "man ln" for making symbolic links, basically you do "sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libcnbpcmcm156.so.5.71.2 /usr/lib/libcnbpcmcm156.so"

Have you checked howtos on google like this one: http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/showproduct.php?product=1881