PDA

View Full Version : building custom kernel 2.4.20

garyng
04-11-2003, 10:03 AM
I have apt-get the kernel source and xfs-patch but when I run apply/xfs, nothing happens(no message, nothing). Is this normal ? I have applied another XPPE patch which does run as normal(some messages, no error).

What I have is a deboostraped environment and I chroot to it. And when I chroot and run 'make menuconfig', it said something like Ncurses library not found. However, it is ok if I just run from the KNOPPIX environment.

Would anyone kindly give me some hint or links where I can setup a chroot environment such that I can carry out the kernel building process ?

Entropy42
04-11-2003, 03:27 PM
I have apt-get the kernel source and xfs-patch but when I run apply/xfs, nothing happens(no message, nothing). Is this normal ? I have applied another XPPE patch which does run as normal(some messages, no error).

What I have is a deboostraped environment and I chroot to it. And when I chroot and run 'make menuconfig', it said something like Ncurses library not found. However, it is ok if I just run from the KNOPPIX environment.

Would anyone kindly give me some hint or links where I can setup a chroot environment such that I can carry out the kernel building process ?
For one, unless you think you'll have a need to read/write to XFS file systems (not likely, these aren't exactly that common), you can just ignore the XFS patches. I do.

As far as chrooting, I can do so with no problems either from within Knoppix or from within RedHat 7.3