PDA

View Full Version : Qparted and new hard drive

rhybeka
04-16-2005, 03:25 PM
I wasn't quite sure where to post this, so I thought I would start here

I'm running knoppix 3.7 on the 2.6 Kernel. I have a 60GB HD plugged in, and am attempting to use Qparted to format/put a partition on it. It sees the drive on boot, allows me to create partitions on the drive, but then when I go to format it, I'm told it's a virtual drive. Also, when I attempt to mount the drive, I get the error "mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified" I also do not get an hda or hda1 icon on my desktop if this helps.

Is this an issue with the harddrive itself, or am I doing something wrong? Any recommendations to just format it with a windows boot floppy and try this again? ;) Yes, I am new to knoppix, but each day is a learning experience. Any assistance would be appreciated.

OErjan
04-16-2005, 03:43 PM
you should NOT try to mount it, the disk should be 100% UNMOUNTED when partitioning.
are you root?
did you commit the partitioning?

rhybeka
04-16-2005, 04:20 PM
I believe I am logged in as root - is there any way to tell?

I attempted to commit the partitioning, it stated it was successful, and after I clicked Ok, the PC locked hard and had to be rebooted.

OErjan
04-16-2005, 04:42 PM
if you open a console and it looks like this you are root
17:27 ~ #
if I open a console as normal user i get
17:27 ~ $
the diference is that root has # and users have $.

rhybeka
04-17-2005, 11:56 AM
I was logged in as user - but got it fixed and was able to transfer data to it.

I'm assuming I was just not doing the steps in the right order? So you have to be a root user in order to partition/format the drive?

now.... to move onto the hard drive install FAQ :) Onwards and upwards!