PDA

View Full Version : Installing Linux onto hard drive very very simply help

trackerq3
04-16-2005, 10:14 PM
Ok I am looking for a very very simple program that I can but onto an external hard drive and then put that hard drive into a laptop, or have it in a laptop and install it onto it that way. I would like to be able to click "install" or drag and drop.

tdjokic
04-17-2005, 04:46 AM
There is no such program. You must do a bit more than that

mr_ed
04-17-2005, 08:06 AM
Heh. Morphix has a button to click for that. Knoppix isn't intended to be installed to hard drive, so there's no button.

(See the official web page www.knopper.net/knoppix-info/index-en.html - hard-drive requirements aren't even mentioned. Also see the official FAQ linked from that page, http://download.linuxtag.org/knoppix/KNOPPIX-FAQ-EN.txt.)

You could use the installer disk from Debian sarge or from Progeny Debian - not even a button to click, just boot the computer and go. They're designed to be installed to hard disk, and they provide a much more stable system down the road when it comes to maintenance.

But whatever you do, you should absolutely not pay any attention whatsoever to the many, many other threads on this forum that mention opening a terminal window and typing $ sudo knoppix-installer. Always remember that the world is full of people who will give you what you ask for, whether it's good for you or not.

-- Ed