PDA

View Full Version : Domain Names

Kowood
04-16-2005, 10:18 PM
Can one just....Make a domain name? Like say I didn't want a .com or .net, but wanted something of my own. Could I make websites that ended in .kx, for example?

Harry Kuhman
04-16-2005, 10:31 PM
no

Cuddles
05-11-2005, 01:30 AM
Interesting, but, after thinking about it, it isnt what was being asked...

When I first read Kowood's post, I read it as, system names, kinda thing...

Playing a few "network" games, the ones that you play through an ethernet connection, the connection boxes always ask for a "server name", and mine never let me enter a "name", so to speak, they never work... I usually have to use the IP address of the system...

My guess is, this is NOT the same thing that Kowood was asking, but, it did introduce the subject of what I thought it was...

How would one "create" a name, for a system, that would be recognized, in one of those network game boxes ? i.e. IP Adress = name - so that you could enter the "name" in these ethernet games, and it would be "translated" into the proper IP. Considering these IP addresses would not be "global" and not reside out in the WWW, getting a domain name assignment wouldnt be valid. As far as I know, IP addresses on the internet can NOT be in the form of 192.xxx.xxx.xxx

Sorry to "piggy-back", but, its a "honest" one :)
Ms. Cuddles

Harry Kuhman
05-11-2005, 02:12 AM
Kowood needs to look up TDLs (Top Level Domains).

As to playing games on a local system, you can stick whatever translation you want in your hosts file. Most people use it to lie to the system about adware / spyware providers so their systems simply can't get to them, but you can also use it to reference systems by names (the intended use). As far as using this for game boxes and such, you would have to give them a local machine to use as a DNS server by DHCP, and have added the lookups that you want to happen on that DNS server.

maxIT
05-11-2005, 08:19 PM
Maybe this service can help Kowood or Coodles?
http://www.no-ip.com/services/page/free/dynamic/dns :D

eadz
05-14-2005, 01:46 AM
You can make your own .kx domain name if you run your own dns server, and set your computer to use that DNS server. But no one else will be able to use it.

jjmac
05-16-2005, 11:20 AM
You can make your own .kx domain name if you run your own dns server, and set your computer to use that DNS server. But no one else will be able to use it.

Yeah, thats along the lines of what i was thinking.

If you had your own lan set up you could do that internally. And i'm not to sure how 'virtual domains' would fit in there. Like the ones that apache can configure. I tryed that once ages ago but failed (grin), and haven't looked at it since. So am quite rusty there.

Even within a lan configuration, it would only be usable there (i think, very rusty)

For real world 'www' names, i don't think so though. It would be up to the registration bodies after all.

jm

-:- If the system is the answer, then the question
must have been really stupid -:-