PDA

View Full Version : how to change screen/monitor setiings

maltta
04-11-2003, 11:30 AM
Hi all,

yet another question: the monitor and screen settings in the KDE control centre refuse to pay attention to my attempts to change them. The monitor settings are almost OK, I'd just like to adjust the sync rates, but the screen is set to 640x480, 8 bit, which obviously is slightly below what would be possible...

The weird thing is, that the resolution does not seem to be 640x480, but still I think it should be properly displayed in the settings menu.

In case this should be of any relevance: I'm running knoppix 3.2.

Cheers,

Malte

rickenbacherus
04-12-2003, 04:00 PM
Control center>peripheral>Xdisplay
It doesn't appear to work (at least not for me). It says that my resolution is 640x480 w/ a color depth of 8 which is entirely incorrect. I am running 1024x768@24.

You can really edit these setting in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

If you need assistance witht his file post it.

RiBeZ
05-09-2003, 03:37 PM
Control center>peripheral>Xdisplay
It doesn't appear to work (at least not for me). It says that my resolution is 640x480 w/ a color depth of 8 which is entirely incorrect. I am running 1024x768@24.

You can really edit these setting in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

If you need assistance witht his file post it.

It doesn't work for me too (Knoppix 3.2 April 15)

Earl Gibbs
05-14-2003, 08:11 AM
When you get to the last screen of the "Video Card" selection there
will be a section at the bottom of the screen to select the resolution,
refresh rate and color depth. After a re-boot the new configuration
will be correct and the "Screen" section should show it.
At least it works for me.
egibbs

Superstoned
05-14-2003, 02:12 PM
It is indeed not that dificult to change the settings, there is (if I remember correctly) also an commandline config for X-windows, but I dont know the name (something line configX?).

but I have a slightly different problem - If I run in 1024x786 (@24) my screen is moved to the right, and I cant adjust it far enough on my monitor. does anyone know a way to move it left, in the software? with the installation of suse, I remember, I was able to do so manually (they represented a screen with big buttons for left, right, up and down and if u pressed them the whole screen moved. it was also possible to enlarge or shring, etc etc, very usefull for me...).

btw win98 is also unable to do it, so I can only run 800x600 - but thats fine for '98, not for kde!

RockMumbles
05-14-2003, 03:32 PM
Maybe look at: xvidtune

HTH

rock

rickenbacherus
05-14-2003, 10:03 PM
(if I remember correctly)

Anything to do with your user name? :D

but I have a slightly different problem - If I run in 1024x786 (@24) my screen is moved to the right, and I cant adjust it far enough on my monitor. does anyone know a way to move it left, in the software?

What kind of video card? Are there any drivers for it?

Superstoned
05-16-2003, 10:39 AM
(if I remember correctly)

Anything to do with your user name? :D

Might be ;) but at that moment I was quite normal... So I dont think so :p

but I have a slightly different problem - If I run in 1024x786 (@24) my screen is moved to the right, and I cant adjust it far enough on my monitor. does anyone know a way to move it left, in the software?

What kind of video card? Are there any drivers for it?

Its a simple 14" monitor, max 1024x786 @60hz, very old, name is ProVista 14 (but I whould call that "no-name"). My vidcard is a 3dfx voodoo3 2000.

the problem isnt recognition or something like that, that goes correctly (although I have to set the refreshrate to 60 manually), but this monitor seems to be strange at this res (even in win98). Suse 8.1 offered (as the only dist I've seen now, tried several) the option to move the screen up/down etc - and is this possible in knoppix too? someway?

btw like knoppix anyway - always your own operating system with you!

grtz

Superstoned
05-16-2003, 10:41 AM
btw I'll try Xvidtune (dunno that prog, but I tried, in other distro's like mandrake, vectorlinux and alt-linux, to use the configprogs for X, which didnt offer the option. but I dont know this one (at least dont recognize the name) so I'll try!).

tnx!