PDA

View Full Version : HD system: eth0 no longer set up!

J0hnP1pe
04-18-2005, 01:42 AM
My HD-installed system (version 3.4) has stopped setting up eth0. It was working fine before, then box wasn't used for several months, and when used again, no network connection.

There is no eth0 line in dmesg. However, any of the 'pci' commands will report back detecting the ethernet controller, and I can boot from the CD and eth0 is detected and set up just fine; boot from the hard disk ... not.

From the running HD system, info below from lspci -v

00:09.0 Ethernet controller: Lite-On Communications Inc LNE100TX (rev 20)
Subsystem: Netgear FA310TX
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 9
I/O ports at ec00 [size=256]
Memory at e7000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
Expansion ROM at e6000000 [disabled] [size=256]

'/sbin/ifconfig eth0 up' gives this:

eth0 ERROR when getting interface flags no such device

ls: /dev/eth*: No such file or directory

Where do I need to be looking at to troubleshoot this device problem?

Thanks, john

J0hnP1pe
04-18-2005, 06:24 AM
I found that the tulip modules is not being loaded during intialization; I could 'modprobe tulip', and then '/sbin/ifconfig eth0 up' works (actually, I had to bring it down and use /sbin/ifup eth0 to get it both up and with an auto IP address).

I checked /etc/modules.conf and no alias or mention of 'eth0'. I saw the caution there to use 'update-modules'; did this and it added the alias to the modules files. I rebooted, but '/sbin/ifconfig' shows only interface lo active.

What is different about knoppix-debian init that the module is not getting loaded; shouldn't it be parsing /etc/modules.conf?

J0hnP1pe
04-18-2005, 11:10 PM
I've kept searching, and finally did 'locate modules', which has been informative. Haven't always paid attention to the boot-up sequence, but did and found that it copies a kernel-specific module file into a "generic" module file. Looking in there I found a '3C509' module, instead of 'tulip'.

I realized I'd swapped nic's between knoppix box and router box some time ago. I edited the kernel/module file and now the right module gets loaded. However, dhcp is not getting an address setup, even though the boot up screen shows it asking for dhcp.

Is there a setup program on the installed HD system to help deal with and correct this?

Thanks,

John

J0hnP1pe
04-21-2005, 11:51 PM
After a good deal of googling, and using the live Cd, and reading though many config files under /etc/, I finally found out how to get changed hardware (I had swapped nics with another box, some time ago and didn't remember this until recently) updated.

And the answer is ...

/etc/init.d/knoppix-hd-autoconfig

After running this manually and rebooting, everything works OK now.

HTH anyone else who has an issue. If you have problems and the live cd works OK on the same box, try using this to correct problems of new hardware installed in the box.