PDA

View Full Version : Balance/WalMart AMD based laptops

rec9140
04-18-2005, 03:33 PM
Afer having tons of refugee laptops I've decided its time to spring for a new current one. I don't use a laptop enough to warrant spending $1K plus I just don't have those kinds of needs for portable computing.

Walmart (I have only so much $$$ to spread around) is offering:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3202221&cat=4070&type=19&dept=3944&path=0%3A3944%3A3951%3A4070

Which is an 14.1" AMD based latop that for ~ $750 would have 512MB (w/upgrd.) and some other decent spec's.

Has any one gotten one of these and tried any version of Knoppix on it? Results? What does and does not work? Wireless? Modem (most likely a winsleaze winmodem, but I have some old real V.90 cards and/or my 1x cell phone)? Touchpad? Ethernet?

Machine would be wiped, and most likely partitioned to dual boot mainly Knoppix, and a winslease XP Pro partition when absolutely needed. Even if I left winslease on it, it would have to get wiped and winsleaze XP pro put on it.

Comments on this model under Knoppix?

NOTE: If your going to make suggestions on other SUB ~$800 laptops, they MUST BE AMD powered, I will not consider any intel cpu based units.