PDA

View Full Version : Compiling new Kernel 2.5.67 and modules under Knoppix 3.2-30

skda
04-11-2003, 02:23 PM
Can anyone please tell me what to do in order to install the 2.5.67 beta kernel and it's modules?
I tried it myself quite often and it seems that the modules are not correctly linked and therefore not loaded after booting nor treated by depmod.
I looked around to see where this information is stored but I had no luck.
I think that the new kernel uses a complete new concept by compiling and booting.
I would be very gratefull if somebody could post the exact steps and commands to do the following:

a). compile the 2.5.67 kernel and its modules to setup a running system on knoppix 3.2
b). compile the 2.4.20 kernel with acpi and alsa support on knoppix 3.2

Thank you all in advance
skda

Alextreme
04-11-2003, 04:52 PM
no big deal, only thing is that you'll have to hack cloop for 2.5/6 kernels. Have fun ;)

solu
04-15-2003, 09:51 PM
Hey,

I've got exactly the same problem with Knoppix kernel compilation.

I downloaded Kernel 2.4.20 from kernel.org and alsa driver (snd-via82xx) from http://www.alsa-project.org (a great website) - but it seems that I don't know how to apply the xfs-patch to the kernel sources. Some directories have the same name and I don't know how to merge xfs patch and kernel sources together so that I can compile a kernel like the one that is already running... feeling like a complete newbie although I'm already working with Unix / Linux for years... :cry:

btw. compilation of alsa driver seems to be no problem - insmod only tells me that I compiled the alsa driver for kernel 2.4.20, whereas 2.4.20-xfs is currently running, which again shows me that I didn't add the xfs-patch to 2.4.20 at compile time... chaos...

Thank you very much for every hint...

solu

garyng
04-16-2003, 08:35 AM
someone correct me if I am wrong.

At the kernel level, the xfs stuff is just something that patch the kernel such that the XFS module(if one choose to use it) can work properly. So patching it or not doesn't really matter if one does not have the intention of really using XFS. In that sense, just add 'xfs' to the extraversion keyword in Makefile of the kernel source(after make config) and everything should be fine as the compiled kernel would say 2.4.20-xfs when queried.