PDA

View Full Version : network card boot-up problem, doesn't get dhcp address

J0hnP1pe
04-18-2005, 11:20 PM
I have a knoppix 3.4 HD install, and I had some time ago swapped nic's between the knoppix box and the freesco router box. I didn't realize then that knoppix HD doesn't check for change in hardware like my RH 6.1 does.

The box was loading the old module, from the kernel-specific-module file. Before finding this, I had searched all the many module loading files, and tried configuring there, if they didn't have an eth0 entry, I added one. Perhaps this may have interfered somewhere, after I found the module. I did find the card Identified correctly in one file, though; lspci -v showed the card correctly too.

Is there a setup program on the HD install that can be used to correct this? Or if not, what files do I need to edit to see that it gets it's dhcp?

mr_ed
04-20-2005, 09:05 PM
Sounds like you need Knoppix to generate a new /etc/modules-kernel. Try deleting it (or better, move it somewhere like to your home directory, to save it for later comparison), and then reboot.

Init calls /etc/init.d/knoppix-hd-autoconfig, which checks for /etc/modules-kernel fairly early. If it doesn't find it, it calls /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig right away, and a new modules-kernel is built so hd-autoconfig can do the rest of its stuff.

If hd-autoconfig does find the modules-kernel file, then it finishes running and hands off to autoconfig, but the modules file isn't rebuilt.

Hope this helps!

-- Ed

J0hnP1pe
04-22-2005, 02:33 AM
Thanks again, Ed,

It took me a little to remember this earlier thread (I've been hopping around a bit, not sure which forum my post was best for, took a while to narrow down what was going on, thus which forum was most appropriate), and I have some perceptual disabilities but I keep on trying to solve the problems while waiting on anyone to answer, and try to follow up my own posts if I figure it out.

Your explanation of what happens in boot modules is exactly what I've been trying to find out and understand. It's beginning to make sense now.

I think your reply would make the basis of a good sticky tip, I'll bet that would help solve many of the harware config issues that I see people ask help for around here.

Thanks very much

John

mr_ed
04-22-2005, 08:08 AM
It would be pretty useful to have an article like How Knoppix Works that shows where Klaus Knopper and friends alter the typical Debian type of Linux - but it would have to be written by someone who knows a heck of a lot more than I do about Linux! :D

Maybe the best thing the forum could do is delete everything in this HDD-Install category and lock it with only one message visible: DO NOT INSTALL KNOPPIX TO HARD DRIVE !!!It's designed to run from CD, and all the tweaks that make Knoppix useful in that environment can become pitfalls and liabilities once it's installed.

But then what would we do for fun? :D

-- Ed