PDA

View Full Version : Can't edit iso on the fly - bummer eh?

jago25_98
04-18-2005, 11:27 PM
I was absolutely sure that I always used to do

mount -o loop foo.iso /mnt/loop
&&
mount -o remount,rw /mnt/loop

But apparently there isn't anything to edit iso9660 images on the fly :/

Is this right? I must have been so mistaken.

I'm told that I have to copy it all back again with mkisofs; a pain since the CD `bootfile` matters, and a bigger pain because I only have 1gb free and I'm doing a 4gb DVD image.

Guess I'll just have to reboot into Windows and use WinISO :/

I expect the XBox people find this a pain too. And yes, I relise iso9660 was only meant to be read-only originally.

redss
04-20-2005, 10:44 PM
You're talking about editing the ISO image, not including the compressed filesystem inside the ISO right?

I've not known a way to mount it rw.

BTW you are making a 4 GB ISO? I thought there was a 2 GB limit on the compressed fs (from what I've read)

Harry Kuhman
04-20-2005, 11:11 PM
BTW you are making a 4 GB ISO? I thought there was a 2 GB limit on the compressed fs (from what I've read)
There are some commercial Win tools that claim to let you edit an ISO. I know of no freely available tool though. If anyone does, please respond with the name and source of the tool.

There is a 2 gig limit on files contained within an ISO9660 file system (The file system that Knoppix uses). There is no 2 gig limit on the file size of the ISO itself. It is the cloop file within the ISO that's in danger of exceeding the 2 gig limit, but there are ways to work around this (nothing says you can only have one cloop file, or that you can't have some applications in it and a lot of other applications in additional klik files. Or that you couldn't even just have the applicatons there with no compression at all). And as a last resort you might switch to a non-iso9660 file system (that 2 gig limit is going to get old as we start getting to blue ray and other new technology), but it might cause problems with making the disc bootable.