PDA

View Full Version : Getting knoppix to work on a P1

Aphot
04-19-2005, 03:01 AM
I have a P1 and I want to use knoppix on it and I cant make it boot from the cd drive, is there and knoppix boot disks I can use?

Harry Kuhman
04-19-2005, 06:12 AM
I have a P1 and I want to use knoppix on it and I cant make it boot from the cd drive, is there and knoppix boot disks I can use?
You're much better off using Smart Boot Manager or XOSL.

pestie
04-19-2005, 09:56 PM
I've made this work, but not the usual way. I resorted to using a DOS boot disk with CD-ROM drivers and a very handy utility called Loadlin:

http://elserv.ffm.fgan.de/~lermen/

The command line is simple: loadlin <kernel image filename> <kernel boot parameters>

So, at the prompt, change to the D:\BOOT\ISOLINUX directory (I think) and do something like:

A:\loadlin knoppix.img <parameters and cheatcodes here>

You'll need some non-cheatcode parameters, such as ramdisk_size=100000. Check out the isolinux.cfg file to see what you'll need. I've used this technique to boot Knoppix on my old Pentium MMX 166 laptop w/64M of RAM. Knoppix runs unbearably slow with so little RAM, but it's not too bad if you don't need X11, or boot with a desktop other than KDE. Having a swap partition helps a lot, of course - I'm not sure it'll even boot X without swap.

Aphot
04-19-2005, 10:18 PM
I guess it wont even be worth doing because its 200mhz with 32mb of ram, its not even a mmx processor :/. Thanks for the help anyways :).

Kowood
04-20-2005, 11:33 PM
Heh...I tried installing Dettu[Xx] on a 33 Mhz 7mb RAM comp that had 39 mb of hard drive space. I didn't even get halfway through the first boot disk. :-p