PDA

View Full Version : Acer 4000 problem with new Knoppix

Urb85
04-19-2005, 12:41 PM
Hello guys

I have got an Acer TravelMate 4000, which normally runs under WindowsXP Pro (not for long); :wink:
I've tried so far Knoppix 3.7, which runs smoothly and without a glitch, apart from the WiFi drivers, which were not supported yet.

I then downloaded Knoppix version 3.8 (CeBit) and the latest Knoppix 3.8.1;
When I try to boot up, the system locks up at the black screen, before loading XWindow, in fact it says something like:
"After this the system will be rebooted", but then carries on until nothing happen and I get the simple black screen with the shell, no graphics at all...
The only way I can reboot is just type in: reboot;

How come? Any of you has some idea about this problem?
This just happen, on my laptop, because I have tried the cd on my home pc, and University pc, and it works just fine...
I done a MD5 checksum and gives me a correct answer!

Thanks in advance.

Urb85

gunther.hebein@gmx.at
04-24-2005, 04:39 PM
did you get it working. have same problem with aspire 1414 wlmi.
black screen, no kde.

LarryBird
05-07-2005, 07:55 PM
Same here, Acer Aspire 1400LC P4 with Radeon Mobility M6 (which has a bug in 3D acc). You can use Alt-Backspace to get out of the Xserver, use "init 2" to go to text mode and have a look at /var/log/XFree somthing.log
I get some warnings at the end of the log. Changed some settings in XFreeConfig-4 and even used the default Config, but to no avail.
Older version (V.forgot)of Knoppix work fine, apart from wireless drivers.help...

baer
08-22-2005, 10:21 PM
:D
Vielleicht kann ich euch helfen!
Ich habe auch einen neuen Acer, und zwar TravelMate 4150 mit Intel 915 GM mit 3D Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900.
Der Bildschirm beim starten von X wurde auch schwarz.
Mit Knoppix 4.0 DVD versuchte ich es schließlich mit folgendem Bootparameter:
knoppix vga=normal
=> erfolgreich

Bei der Ubuntu Live Version 4.10 hatte ich Erfolg mit dem Booteintrag:
expert

Wärend des Bootvorganges wird die Grafikkarte autodetected:
using XFree86(vesa)Server
Using Modes "1024x768"

Bei der Installation auf Festplatte bin ich momentan dabei. Da könnt Ihr mir ja die Daumen drücken, daß dann auch der Grafikbildschirm läuft. Aber ich habe schon gelesen, daß man in der "menu.lst" von grub dem Kernel auch "vga=normal" hinzufügen muß.

Viel Glück