PDA

View Full Version : How do you customize the KDE menu?

lgriske
04-11-2003, 04:21 PM
I want to get rid of some of the menu items in the default Knoppix boot. Is it as simple as exporting DISPLAY and running Kmenuedit from your chroot'ed custom environment?

Thanks,

Lawrence Riske

redrat
04-15-2003, 02:15 PM
as far as i can remeber, the kde cofiguration is stored in /etc/skel/.kde (or something like that).

So you have to modify this files. An easy way of doing this is, to configure KDE for your knoppix user and then copy the ~/.kde directory to /etc/skel/.kde.

That's the way I did it.

so long,
red

eadz
04-16-2003, 12:02 AM
I want to get rid of some of the menu items in the default Knoppix boot. Is it as simple as exporting DISPLAY and running Kmenuedit from your chroot'ed custom environment?

Or.. run kmenuedit from CD, and copy the .kde files from ~/.kde to your chrooted /etc/skel/.kde

That method also works for the bookmark bar and color themes etc .

lgriske
04-21-2003, 10:26 PM
Works like a champ. Thanks for the help. I had already tried that, but it looks like when I copied the directories to /etc/skel I forgot the recursive switch. arrg.

Thanks again for the help,

L. Riske

lgriske
04-23-2003, 05:46 AM
Other things that got me that you might want to look out for. Sorry if some of this seems obvious.

1) It's probably something I did, but if knoppix doesn't have permissions to the /etc/skel/.kde items they won't get copied on boot and you won't see them.

All items should be owner: root, group: root, permissions: rwxr-xr-x. These dirs get copied to the /home/knoppix dir during all that boot time magic. It looks like they get chgrp'ed and chown'ed to knoppix at that time.

You can do this in a root shell by "chmod -R 755 /etc/skel/.kde/"

2) KDE menu items are files such as Mutt.desktop. You can view and modify their contents with vi.

I noticed that sometimes menu items would simply disappear after modifying them in KMenuEditor. What happens is that a line that reads:

Hidden=false

gets removed somehow. Manually putting that back into the .desktop file brought the item back.

Thanks,

L. Riske

dragonx
06-22-2003, 04:44 AM
I noticed this thread and had an Idea, but didn't know if it would work. I was thinking of changing KDE the using the create a persistant home directory then copying that dir structure to the /etc/skel directory. Would that work or am I missing something?

Thanks