PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.8.1 +SATA = no Boot!

Krisbee
04-19-2005, 04:42 PM
This is my hardware:

Abit NF7-S v2 (BIOS-27)
sil3112 SATA controller
Hitachi PATA hard drive attached to SATA controller with Abit's serillel2 PATA to SATA converter.

Knoppix fails to boot with a (screaming?) interrupt probem message appears after "audit initialisation" message:

irq11 : noboby cared!
Disabling irq11..

The SATA controller is on irq 11.

I've tried using "noapic" on booting knoppix but this make no difference. And after installing Knoppix 3.8.1 as a Debian system on a hard drive attached to a standard IDE controller found that if would not boot as soon as a drive is connected to the SATA controller, the boot stops with the same interrupt error. With no drive connected to the SATA controller, the SATA controller is recognised and the system boots - but that's no use.

As I would think this is a common hardware combination, I wonder if anyone has go this to work. I've no idea if it's a kernel problem, a libata/sata_sil problem or some setting in the Abit NF7-S BIOS.

Krisbee
05-14-2005, 06:12 PM
A small follow up.

I was trying Knoppix 3.8.1 + SATA as I had no luck with a Mandrake install on my hardware. But after a little digging around I got a MDk 10.1 install, based on kernel 2.6.8.1-24mdk, to boot from my SATA drive/Sil3112A setup by creating a custom initrd which included these modules - "scsi_mod, sd_mod, libata, sata_sil" and the modprobe.conf file included this line - "install scsi_hostadapter /sbin/modprobe sata_sil; /bin/true".

Looking at the config file the knoppix kernel appears to have these moudles built in so I would not have expected to create a custom intrd (nor can you without re-mastering)

I believe Mdk kernels have a variety of patches applied to them so perhaps the problem does lie with the knoppix kernel.

Krisbee
05-25-2005, 12:18 PM
I realised my last post might be a little misleading. My system boot is not error free. I still get the "disabling IRQ" problem on some boots. I'm using GRUB and the trick appears to be to allow a considerable dealy before initiating the boot, but it can be a bit hit and miss.

I went back to the Knoopix 3.8.1 CD and played around with expert mode and other combinations with various lengths of delay before hitting the enter key on the initial command line. Out of a dozen or more attempts I got the system to boot correctly just once! So apart from this irrating bug which prevents the system from being usable, there were no other obvious problems.

Has the kernel update in 3.8.2 fixed this SATA/Kernel bug? If anybody has had success with 3.8.2 on the same/similar hardware to myself I be interested to know.

Tinsby
05-25-2005, 06:34 PM
This is my hardware:

Abit NF7-S v2 (BIOS-27)
sil3112 SATA controller
Hitachi PATA hard drive attached to SATA controller with Abit's serillel2 PATA to SATA converter.

Knoppix fails to boot with a (screaming?) interrupt probem message appears after "audit initialisation" message:

irq11 : noboby cared!
Disabling irq11..

The SATA controller is on irq 11. .

Hello Krisbee,

I get a similiar message on my machine only the IRQ is 18 not 11; that's the one where my 250 GB SATA drive resides.

So I am stuck too, unable to use Knoppix! :(

Tinsby

user99998
06-01-2005, 06:44 PM
:oops: Hello!

I have the same problem and my english is so good

Have you an anwser