PDA

View Full Version : How can I do the boot floppies on Kno38?

OP4Latino
04-19-2005, 07:16 PM
Hi everyone

I can't find the Make Boot floopy Disk options on KNOPPIX menu nor anyone else on KDE

I tried to use a Terminal and type mkbootfloppy and it would say that the command doesn't exist

Can anyone explain me how can I get them? or Should I do them from skatch (how?)? I have floopies for kno37

Harry Kuhman
04-19-2005, 07:20 PM
Use Smart Boot Manager or XOSL. SBM can go on a flopy or just be installed to the hard drive MBR (no more floppies needed), XOSL is larger, must be installed to hard drive (but it is a simple install if you can read and follow instructions). I recommend installing XOSL to it's own small partiotion (just a few meg in size).

OP4Latino
04-20-2005, 07:23 AM
I just did a quick google to SBM. that means you have to install it to make it work. same with XOSL.

That won't solve my problem. That means no more "using somebody's else computer without changing the BIOS conf or installing stuff".

I guess I'll be stuck with kno37 when I use someone's else PC.

At least till' I get enough money to buy a 1GB Protable USB Driver and boot knop from there (hopping the PC is enable to boot from USB's, darn) :cry:

Harry Kuhman
04-20-2005, 04:47 PM
I just did a quick google to SBM. that means you have to install it to make it work. same with XOSL.
No, you can put SBM on a floppy and boot from that if you really want a floppy solution. When there was a Linux boot floppy that would boot Knoppix it had a copy of the Kernel on it and it would only boot that one version of Knoppix. Now the kernel has suffered the same bloat that affects many things in this industry and no longer fits on a single floppy. But SBM can go on a floppy (no kernel involved, just a nice boot loader that knows how to boot CDs) and it can boot any CD, so if you change to a different version of Knboppix or even if you want to boot some other bootable CD, it will work.

I did state this in my first post.

OP4Latino
04-21-2005, 06:57 PM
I finally got SMB. I like it very much. Now I can use other CD live distros too

Thanks man.

redss
04-24-2005, 09:01 PM
Still, I miss the option in knoppix that enables any dummy to create a boot floppy without having to think about it.

SBM looks quite a bit more complicated and I didn't see a simple HOWTO. What are the steps involved in using SBM?

Harry Kuhman
04-24-2005, 10:54 PM
.... What are the steps involved in using SBM?
Download the version of the installer for your system.

If you are using the Windows/DOS version, open a DOS session. Type the name of the installer once with no arguments. It prints out it's arguments. Look at the arguments available. Type the command again, with the arguments you want (selecting if you want to install to HD MBR or Floppy).

Reboot and run SBM. Select what you want to boot from the menu.

OP4Latino
04-25-2005, 07:22 AM
What are the steps involved in using SBM?

Personally, I use this link http://linux.simple.be/tools/sbm. It have details of how to install SMB to a floppy. I highly recommend to use the "dd" linux command.