PDA

View Full Version : sysv-rc error preventing package installations - help...

yekibud
04-19-2005, 08:27 PM
distro: knoppix remaster 'feather' (hd install)
kernel 2.4.27
arch i386

Apt-get works for me for most packages, but a few random (and important!) packages are giving me some errors I don't understand. Module-init-tools, for example.

When I try to apt-get or dpkg the .deb I get the following dependency error:

Depends: sysv-rc but it's not going to be installed.

I am then prompted to try apt-get -f install, which gives the following error:

Unpacking sysv-rc (from .../sysv-rc_2.86.ds1-1_all.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/sysv-rc_2.86.ds1-1_all.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/etc/init.d/rc', which is also in package sysvinit
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/sysv-rc_2.86.ds1-1_all.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

eco2geek
04-19-2005, 10:38 PM
This occurs in Knoppix and Knoppix variants because Knoppix uses its own modified version of the init scripts, which conflict with the packages from Debian unstable. So you'll have to decide, do you really want to do that, and deal with the consequences?

See this thread from the Kanotix forum (http://forum.kanotix.net/viewtopic.php?t=4300&highlight=gnome+install) about a very similar question, and a resolution (at the end of the thread).

mr_ed
04-20-2005, 05:52 AM
Other problems will arise when you upgrade a piece of Knoppix that comes from one branch of Debian, and it stops working correctly with a piece that comes from another branch of Debian.

The underliying problem is that Knoppix is designed to be a live CD, not an installed system. It's optimized for an environment where the hardware changes, but the software stays the same.

For an installed Linux, you're much better off using a distro that stays within a single release of something, whether it's Debian, Fedora, Slackware, or whatever. Many people here like Kanotix - its website says that it's almost pure Debian sid, the unstable branch.

I like Progeny, an almost pure Debian sarge, and I especially like Debian sarge itself. Sarge is one release closer than sid to being the "official" and "stable" version of Debian. (That slot is presently held by woody, which is not likely to please anybody these days.)

I'm sure that what I'm saying is annoying, but I hope it's helpful anyway! :D

-- Ed

eco2geek
04-20-2005, 10:35 AM
What he said. :wink:

What I mean is, if you want Debian Unstable, install Debian Unstable (actually, you don't install Debian Unstable, you install Debian Testing and dist-upgrade to Unstable -- broadband helps!). That way, you have a clean install. If you want to stick with your Knoppix variant, you'll have to accept that there are some things you can't upgrade without "breaking the plumbing."