PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Office 2000 v OpenOffice

babelbrennt
04-19-2005, 10:11 PM
I have been typing an assignment using OpenOffice which I saved as a Microsoft Office .doc file. When I saved it to a usb and tried it in Windows Windows didn't recognize the text ( it came out gibberish) so I burned it onto a cd using the joliet extension , but Windows didn't understand the text there either. I exported it as a PDF and Windows recognised this so I can hand my assignment in. But I'd like to know if there is a way of saving the file so it can be read using Microsoft Office 2000/ XP for future reference. Sorry it's just take take take with me at the moment, I promise I'll give back when I know enough to give back :oops:

fpd
05-02-2005, 02:17 AM
If you want to keep the document's formatting (bold, font, tabs, etc.), try saving the OpenOffice document in Word95 or Word 6.0 then try opening in Word2000/XP. If you need only the text, save as .TXT

Also : Try opening a Word2000/XP document in your OpenOffice.

Markus
05-02-2005, 07:38 AM
rtf is widely used because it can be opened by almost any app and still keeps most formatting.

babelbrennt
05-07-2005, 10:18 PM
Sorry I have taken so long to reply. I can be pretty unreliable. I tried saving it as an rft file. Everything came up but the formatting was messed up. Especially the pictures, which were on top of each other, but I may have been able to sort that out. I then saved it as a windows 95.doc, but I had the same problem as with windows xp. What I didn't tell you because it never occured to me was that i'd written it with adventura, which is not a windows font. Luckily a friend told me he was less than impressed with my choice of font colour( taupe). Since I'm always willing to oblige i played about with the formatting and I changed everything to lucida sans typewriter. And bingo!!! Just goes to show it doesn,t pay to be adventurous ( :? ). Thanks for replying. Next time i'll try to flesh out the details better :wink: