PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix hangs on Eht0 when shutdown or reboot?

ThE_R_o_B
04-20-2005, 12:32 AM
Hi...
Got a bit of a problem with shutting down Knoppix it hangs at shutting down the network on eht0... I have noticed that it dhcp doesn't always recognize my IP address so I configured it properly and save the configuration and I've checked to see if it's listed and has support in info and it does but it still hangs??? I've used Kanotix and it has the IP problem but always unmounts and never hangs so what's the issue here??? and what do I do to fix it???
Thanks,
Rob

mr_ed
04-20-2005, 09:27 PM
What's the last message you see before it hangs?

-- Ed

ThE_R_o_B
04-20-2005, 11:04 PM
Hi Ed,
It hangs at:
shutting down network device eth0
and occasionally:
sent all processes the KILL signal....................................
Any ideas????

mr_ed
04-21-2005, 06:46 AM
Well.... Both Knoppix and Kanotix have the network problem at startup, so it's not the DHCP client that Knoppix uses. I assume Knoppix uses pump because it's smaller, and so it leaves more room on the CD for other stuff. But I've seen some complaints about it.

Knoppix has a network problem at shutdown but Kanotix doesn't, so Knoppix probably has a step or two in the cleanup process that Kanotix doesn't. So that's one place where a work-around could be applied.

But the actual problem that needs fixing is probably in your computer's ethernet hardware, or the network's settings, or in how they communicate. Here's a thread where the person running Knoppix gave up trying to fix the problem in software and installed a new, cheapo internet card instead: www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/26/2003/12/2/123276.

Tell us more about your ethernet service. What kind is it (DSL, cable, whatever), do you have to use PPoE, do you use a router between your computer and the internet ... stuff like that. Also, more detail on what you did about the startup problem.

Here are some miscellaneous Knoppix things you can check, mostly just to be sure that the entries look reasonable - you know you have exactly one ethernet port and so is exactly one is listed? Does it show the right brand of ethernet hardware? And so on.- $ cat proc/net/dev - eth0?;
- $ ifconfig - eth0 address, few errors?;
- $ lspci - right controller?;
- $ cat /etc/sysconfig/netcard - right controller and driver?;
- $ cat /etc/sysconfig/kernel-version/netcard - identical to the last one?;
- $ uname -r - if you forget your kernel version;
- $ cat /etc/pump.conf - reasonable retries and timeout?
Check this last one - when Knoppix is shutting down, it really should only hang for a total of a minute if timeout is 20 seconds and retries is 3 (which is how my 3.7 is set by default). Does yours hang longer than that?

I'll write another post about what Knoppix does at shutdown. You can read the script with $ less /etc/init.d/knoppix-reboot - it uses the same one for halting the computer. Look for lines that start with echo -n and have the console messages you mentioned (and the names of colors :D).

-- Ed

ThE_R_o_B
04-21-2005, 10:23 PM
Hey Ed,
No problems in ifconfig (all the addresses are fine) everythig is suppose to be working fine and the ethernet card is a Realtek gigabit card so it should have the proper support and is listed under info properly. I use cable internet and no routers! To give you an idea of how long it hangs for... I made a sandwitch and a coffee had a smoke and it was still frozen at: shutting down network device eth0, so I just would press restart.
Since I only have one CD-Rom drive I have to install it on to a partitioned hard drive so I decided to use Kanotix and confiure the network card maually since Kanotix had a problem with it's DHCP settings and it's all working fine now with no errors... Now if I can only get those Gatos ati.2 drivers to work it will be perfect! :)
Thanks,
Rob

mr_ed
04-22-2005, 04:20 AM
Sounds like, to use a term from math, a "nontrivial" amount more than a minute! Aren't you glad you can just change distros to something that works instead of waiting on hold for Windows tech support? :D

-- Ed