PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.8.1 USB HD boot impossibe, but Ubuntu 5.0.4 works

stefan42
04-20-2005, 07:02 PM
Since 3.7, over 3.8 and 3.8.1 I try to install it bootable on an USB 2.0 harddrive to have a portable environment, but I am unsuccessful and need help. The condition: Dell D600 notebook, unpluged internal hd, external USB-2.0-hd 80GB 2,5", boot from DOS successful, boot from Ubuntu 5.0.4 with Debian kernel 2.6.10-5 and Grub successful, Knoppix maybe in the future, if somebody is able to help. What I have tried and happens: I booted Knoppix from CD and it looks like that 3.8.1 recognizes the hole hardware, I pluged in the USB-hd and some uba partitions appeared on the desktop (FAT32), I can read and write to them, I opend Qtparted and made a swap-partition in my extended partition and a primary ext3 for root in the free space, rebooted and all looks fine, than I have started "knoppix-installer" and installed it on the ext3 partition, all was installed successful on the USB-hd except the minirt.gz, it was unable to write it (filesize 0 Byte !), also the lilo cold not reach the MBR it was also not installed (why ever), all other files and directorys are successful writen. I have tryed to use the minirt.gz from the CD und start it with loadlin from DOS, also unsuccessful. Than a college sayed that I should use Ubuntu, I tryed it and it works with the instructions from http://ubuntuusers.de/wiki/installation:usb very well.
Maybe there is somebody who is able to explain me what I have to do, or give me a hint, to made a boot procedure adaption/installation for Knoppix 3.8.1 (because it recognizes my used hardware on all computers that I tried). I do not want a poor-man's-installation, because if it works I will install other software under Knoppix.
Thanx 4 any help/hint

stefan42
04-22-2005, 10:05 PM
Is there anybody out there?
A good link is answer enough...

stefan42
04-25-2005, 11:28 PM
Is there anybody out there?
A good link is answer enough...
Also Kanotix 2005-02 gives the benefit I need. After a problem with devfs a Kernel panic comes up :cry: ...
(Nice to talk with me)