PDA

View Full Version : ERROR!: System incorrectly mounts EXT3 filesystem as EXT2

gwylion
04-11-2003, 10:58 PM
hi! i've installed knoppix 3.2 and everything works fine... <suspense>... except... i get the following warning in syslog (dmesg):

EXT2-fs warning (device ide0(3,5)): ext2_read_super: mounting ext3 filesystem as ext2

when i installed knoppix i specified the root partition (/dev/hda5) to use ext3 as filesystem and then afterward added and mounted my existing '/home/' partition (/dev/hda6) as ext3. firstly, here are the relevant parts of my /etc/fstab:

/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hda6 /home ext3 defaults 0 1

the output from 'mount':

# mount
/dev/hda5 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/hda6 on /home type ext3 (rw)

BUT! look at this... the output of 'cat /proc/mounts':

# cat /proc/mounts
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / ext2 rw 0 0
none /proc proc rw 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
/dev/hda6 /home ext3 rw 0 0

it looks like there seems to be only one instance of kjournald running (for my /home/ partition i assume)

# ps aux| grep kjournald
root 137 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SW 18:27 0:00 [kjournald]
root 1670 0.0 0.0 1288 424 pts/0 R 21:29 0:00 grep kjournald

when i have the occasional crash, fsck is run on /dev/hda5, but never on /dev/hda6. yet both are supposed to be journaling. i have had corruption on my root partition as a result.

i've done some searching on google and groups.google (see second item below 'old stuff' http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=linux.kernel.3D56146B.C3CAB5E1%40zip.com.au) and it seems that the problem is that the kernel is loaded, but it can't access the root partition using ext3, because it doesn't have ext3 support compiled in - as ext3 is compiled as a module. so instead it mounts it as ext2. so i could presumably compile a kernel with ext3 built in and run lilo. call me picky, but i really think that if knoppix allows you to format a root partition as ext3, it should mount it as ext3 in the future... :)

the other alternative is something to do with the way initrd works, but i'm completely lost when it comes to that.

what should i do? :?

sorry for the long post. i wanted to make sure i supplied all the info i could.

cheers
julian

gwylion
05-11-2003, 04:00 AM
after some other problems i had, i recompiled a kernel (standard kernel-source-2.4.20 from debian) using the .config in /usr/src/linux/. i compiled ext3 into the kernel (not a module). that seems to have fixed it. :)

Fabianx
05-11-2003, 04:18 PM
after some other problems i had, i recompiled a kernel (standard kernel-source-2.4.20 from debian) using the .config in /usr/src/linux/. i compiled ext3 into the kernel (not a module). that seems to have fixed it. :)

knx-hdinstall should ahve created an good initrd that should ahve soled this problem ...

Hm...

Could you say exactly which version you did use ?

And that you did change nothing on system after installation ?

cu

Fabian

gwylion
05-12-2003, 03:31 AM
i used KNOPPIX_V3.2 -2003-03-28-EN.iso which admittedly is not the latest and greatest, so it might have been fixed since then. however, since i haven't tried the latest version yet, for all i know it may still have the same issue. it's a bit subtle and i don't know how many people would have picked it up... if it wasn't for my dodgy hardware causing the occasional crash, i probably would never have noticed.

and no, i did not change the system at all after installation.