PDA

View Full Version : I can't find a clear answer please help!!!!

braveerudite
04-20-2005, 10:25 PM
I am not trying to boot from my 256MB USB Pen-Drive but I am trying to save my desktop settings (Resulution,wallpaper Gaim Passwords) so when Knoppix boots it would load my settings. I think Knoppix is an excellent tool for learning Linux which is why I picked it and plan to learn as much as possibe with it. There are 2 options

1. Creating a Persistent Knoppix Disk Image

2. Save Knoppix Configuration Option

Which one of this 2 options is the one I need to save my settings and take them with me to any PC on my USB Pen-Drive. Is a 256MB Pen-Drive enough to store the image??? What are the differences. Please help!!! (I read the FAQ's and is all too confusing to me, or is this subject not written clear enough??)

OErjan
04-21-2005, 09:15 AM
i would do both.
that way you get most of what you want saved.

drb
04-21-2005, 01:06 PM
I agree, do both. The configuration file is quite small but don't save files on the desktop (menu selection) as it can then get quite large! I'd select 230 MB for the PH to give room for the configuration file and ability to move smaller files via the pen drive.

Is 230 MB big enough? I found it OK when I was primarily using Klik. With unionFS update you'll quickly lose half the space. This still provides some flexibility for adding further packages. If that is sufficient, fine, otherwise 512MB or 1MB pen drive would give longer term flexibility.

drb

harryhood
04-21-2005, 03:45 PM
What happens when you boot with home=scan if you have both saved? Does it read the knoppix.sh from the /home or from the "root" of the USB pen?

Annorax
05-03-2005, 05:28 PM
I am also a newbie to Knoppix and am running it via VMware to learn Linux, since I am desparately trying to become a Linux user.

How can I save my settings in vmware? Can I somehow simulate a USB disk or some sort?

Dave_Bechtel
05-03-2005, 06:36 PM
If using vmware 5, yes - I think so. You should be able to create a virtual disk and mount it via usb. But that shouldn't be necessary; just create a SCSI disk and Knoppix should recognize it. (You might have to format it though.)

Edit: Upon investigation, it's not possible to create a virtual USB device at this time. You have to create a virtual SCSI or IDE drive.

I am also a newbie to Knoppix and am running it via VMware to learn Linux, since I am desparately trying to become a Linux user.

How can I save my settings in vmware? Can I somehow simulate a USB disk or some sort?

Annorax
05-03-2005, 08:06 PM
If using vmware 5, yes - I think so. You should be able to create a virtual disk and mount it via usb. But that shouldn't be necessary; just create a SCSI disk and Knoppix should recognize it. (You might have to format it though.)

Thank you for your post.
Yes, I am running Vmware 5.

I try the Save Setting option, but it says it can't do it. How do I set up a hard drive partition on the virtual drive for this?

Dave_Bechtel
05-04-2005, 05:47 AM
First you have to set up the scsi drive: (as root of course)

o ' fdisk /dev/sda '
' p ' == List partition table
' n ' == New partition
' e ' == Extended
' 1 ' == Partition 1
( Enter 2x to accept the defaults, use entire drive for 1 partition )

' n '
' L ' (lowercase l) == Logical
( Enter 2x to accept the defaults )
' t ' == Change partition type
' 5 ' == Change 1st logical partition in Extended
' b ' == Win95 FAT32

' p ' == List partition tbl again
' w ' == Write changes to disk and quit

o Format it:
' mkdosfs -F 32 -v /dev/sda5 '

' mkdir /mnt/tmp '
' mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/tmp -onoatime '

--At this point, you should be able to save stuff.

Thank you for your post.
Yes, I am running Vmware 5.

I try the Save Setting option, but it says it can't do it. How do I set up a hard drive partition on the virtual drive for this?

Annorax
05-04-2005, 12:25 PM
When I type fdisk /dev/sda, the konsole tells me it is unable to open /dev/sda.

Do I need to do something in Vmware first?

After I get it to work, I use the following commands then?

fdisk /dev/sda [hit enter twice]
mkdosfs -F 32 -v /dev/sda5
mkdir /mnt/tmp
mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/tmp -onoatime

Must I do those command each time I start up Knoppix again to get it to save, or just mount it?

Dave_Bechtel
05-04-2005, 06:35 PM
--You have to create a SCSI disk in vmware first, of course. :shock:

--Read my post again; I supplied the commands you need to type in fdisk to create the partition. After you save your settings, knoppix should automatically detect it and mount it for you, if you put in the proper cheat code at boot.

When I type fdisk /dev/sda, the konsole tells me it is unable to open /dev/sda.

Do I need to do something in Vmware first?

After I get it to work, I use the following commands then?

fdisk /dev/sda [hit enter twice]
mkdosfs -F 32 -v /dev/sda5
mkdir /mnt/tmp
mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/tmp -onoatime

Must I do those command each time I start up Knoppix again to get it to save, or just mount it?

Annorax
05-04-2005, 10:28 PM
Yes I know I have to make a SCSI hd in VMware, I did that. :?

I have a SCSI hard disk, I can see it in tab for this virtual machine. But when I boot up Knoppix and tell it to save Configuration, I select the hard drive and then it simply says that it cannot save the settings, nothing more.

From Knoppix, I went into the Konsole and typed "fdisk /dev/sda" and it says it can't find /dev/sda.

That is my problem. The virtual SCSI is there but I cannot format it.

Dave_Bechtel
05-05-2005, 05:51 AM
Ah; Sorry. :oops: You can try changing it to IDE; it should work then.
(But obviously it won't be sda anymore; you'll have to do ' fdisk -l ' to find it.)

I had problems using the LSI Logic virtual SCSI adapter in vmware w/ Knoppix; you may want to start over with a new virtual machine and tell it to use a BusLogic SCSI adapter instead (which is what I did.) I know Kpx autodetects Buslogic SCSI; but haven't figured out how to load the LSI (Symbios) driver.

Yes I know I have to make a SCSI hd in VMware, I did that. :?

I have a SCSI hard disk, I can see it in tab for this virtual machine. But when I boot up Knoppix and tell it to save Configuration, I select the hard drive and then it simply says that it cannot save the settings, nothing more.

From Knoppix, I went into the Konsole and typed "fdisk /dev/sda" and it says it can't find /dev/sda.

That is my problem. The virtual SCSI is there but I cannot format it.

Annorax
05-05-2005, 01:43 PM
I made an IDE hard drive /dev/hda, and I type "fdisk -l /dev/hda" and it still says the same error.

I'm going to try to figure out how to use the BusLogic SCSI adapter instead and see if it works, but am not seeing how to use it instead of the regular adapter...

Dave_Bechtel
05-05-2005, 07:49 PM
It's not ' fdisk -l /dev/hda '...

it's:

' fdisk -l ' (L) == To list the drives in the system; then
' fdisk /dev/hda ' == To repartition it.

--Some things in Vm5 are a pain... To change the SCSI adapter, you have to start over with creating a whole new virtual machine.

--Also, when the VM starts to boot, hit F2 and do the following to optimize:

o Enable 32-bit I/O on all the IDE devices (Hit Enter on Primary Master, etc)
o Enable the boot diagnostic screen - this will tell you if the drive is showing up @boot

o Change the boot order (Boot tab); hit Ctrl-Enter to show all devices. I have Floppy 1st, then cdrom, then IDE (or scsi).

--If all else fails, post the results of ' fdisk -l ' and ' dmesg ' in this thread.

BTW, you _are_ doing the fdisk as root, right??

I made an IDE hard drive /dev/hda, and I type "fdisk -l /dev/hda" and it still says the same error.

I'm going to try to figure out how to use the BusLogic SCSI adapter instead and see if it works, but am not seeing how to use it instead of the regular adapter...

Annorax
05-06-2005, 09:43 PM
Here is a screen shot of dmesg that talks about the SCSI drive:

http://img9.echo.cx/img9/465/sdaproblem8cl.jpg

I believe I am in root, as Knoppix just boots up with no login screen.

Dave_Bechtel
05-07-2005, 07:05 AM
--Well, it's definitely detecting it. But you **have** to be root to configure it. Konsole should have "New Root console" in the Session menu, you might have to give it a root password.

--If you're booting from the CD, virtual consoles 1-4 (IIRC) are Root. Hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 and you should be at a root prompt. Otherwise you can ' su - ' and type the root password there.

Here is a screen shot of dmesg that talks about the SCSI drive:

http://img9.echo.cx/img9/465/sdaproblem8cl.jpg

I believe I am in root, as Knoppix just boots up with no login screen.