04-21-2005, 03:32 AM
Please give some advice !
How can I create a bootable CompactFlash Card ext2 formatted

Sistem configuration
Laptop IbmThinkpad T22
- No internal idehdd
- No usb hdd boot bios
- hub usb 4x
- One external usb harddrive with knoppix hdd install on /dev/sda1 / and /dev/sda5 /home
- cdrom ide /dev/hdc
- card reader usb
- CompactFlash Card 128M ext2 formated

can I create a /boot on CF and use for booting? How I do that?
can I grub boot the hddKNX using KNX cd and CF mounted /boot ? :?:

redss
04-24-2005, 09:04 PM
I have knoppix on compactflash and it rocks... but I have a 1 gig CF card. For a 128 Meg CF, you'd need to remove a whole lot of packages from knoppix, or use a different distro like damn small linux. 1 Gb CF cards are real cheap now tho.

Here's a howto for knoppix on CF: http://staff.washington.edu/gray/KnoppixCFguide.html

Jack_
04-26-2005, 04:40 PM
Why is it so complex to get it to boot from a USB CF or drive?

Other distros just require a simple copy then making the CF card bootable.
Be nice to see a CF release for 1 GB cards.

redss
04-26-2005, 07:47 PM
Well when you plop a CF card into a CF-IDE, then you basically have the equivalent of a solid state IDE drive. In fact, the IDE controller is included in the CF card, so the adaptor really just routes the pinouts and power supply appropriately.

To boot linux off a IDE drive, you have to load a boot loader like lilo or grub, since isolinux won't work for a HD, right? no diferent for CF.

poppicu
05-03-2005, 10:38 PM
There is a diference because my laptop bios doesn't recognize usb device for booting. And I don't have harddisk atached. I made the update from IBM (it is a thinkpad) and just like floopy usb and not other devices like usb harddrive or cf mount in a reader. I just find some help on forums and I must create a initrd image with these modules. Thanks any way. If is another suggestion please write on.