PDA

View Full Version : Ok having trouble with partitions.

Dryfter
04-21-2005, 03:44 AM
I have a system with 2 HDD's. One 83 gig with my XP/NTFS partition on it. and one 13 gig that I want to install Knoppix to (as in install to HD, not use off the CD). I tried using the UBD (ultimate boot disc) to make Linux partitions, and I did, but everytime I go into the prompt, type knx2hd, configure it and try to install, i get this "Error: Formatting to failed". I also tried to make partitions using the partition options in knx2hd but i got an errors saying "Open disk drive" and "read-only". Is there a set of instructions that will step by step walk me through what I need to do to make a dual boot XP/knoppix system? Forgive me if I am asking something that's been asked before.

mr_ed
04-21-2005, 07:34 AM
The installation has to be done as the user "root" - the errors might be from running the installer as the regular user Knoppix.

By the way, now it's known as knoppix-installer - but knx2hd still works because it's set up as a kind of alias for knoppix-inistaller.

To run one command as root, you start it with "sudo" - so try this: $sudo knoppix-installer. Let us know if you still have problems!

-- Ed