PDA

View Full Version : Video Problem?????????

VFSampa
12-25-2002, 07:53 PM
I have a good CD becasue I test it on my friends computer and it works fine. But it does not run right on mine. I believe it maybe a video problem of some sort. It get the screen which it detects everything. But when it shuts down and goes into the main screen. I see the CD light working but my monitor is not getting any video and the light on the monitor shows that it is not getting video from the computer so the monitor goes into the off mode. Any suggestions. I love the fact one can use Knoppix from a CD without having to play around with the HD :x

A. Jorge Garcia
12-25-2002, 08:50 PM
Did you try 'knoppix 2' on the boot: screen? If you get that to work, only root console mode, then you know its either a problem with KDE or your X screen settings.

If you get 'knoppix 2' to work then try rebooting with other options in the cheat codes, like 'fb800x600' see if you can get X working. You can get a complete list of available cheats for your CD when at the boot: screen by hitting F2.

After that come back tell us your results.

Good Luck,

Loper
12-26-2002, 12:52 AM
<snip>
...my monitor is not getting any video and the light on the monitor shows that it is not getting video from the computer so the monitor goes into the off mode.
</snip>

What you are probably seeing is an "out-of-range" error. In other words, the video signal from the graphics card is incompatible with your monitor. See the [F2]-triggered cheat-codes to try an 800x600 resolution, or try something like "knoppix xvrefresh=60" to find a compatible video mode. If you need more info, please specify:

1. Your video chipset; and
2. Your monitor brand.

You can get this info as it scrolls by at Knoppix startup, and/or (if you normally run Windows) get the information from the Device Manager. If you DON'T see this information under Knoppix, that may be part of the problem; if the Knoppix hardware ID doesn't match what Windows says, that may be useful, too.

weirdlab
12-29-2002, 06:30 PM
I have the same problem with this setup.

GeForce Ti4200
Samsung 19" TFT on the DVI port
Sony 19" CPD tube monitor on the second output.

Everything is detected but when X is launched everything becomes black. I have access to other tty, so it's really a problem with X.

I have tried screen=1280x1024 and xvrefresh=60.

All the other computers that I've tried Knoppix on worked flawlessly (TFT, tube, different brands of GFX cards)

dramzan
04-25-2003, 06:01 AM
Ironically I have the same problem with this setup.

GeForce 3
Gateway 16" TFT on the DVI port

Everything is detected but when X is launched everything becomes black. Then the computer locks up, then i have to unplug my whole computer and start all over.

I also have tried screen=1280x1024 and xvrefresh=60.

I remember that someone said that a DVI output is not supported, but some else reported that he got it working by downloading the binary drivers.

Anyone know the process and can help?

A. Jorge Garcia
04-25-2003, 01:51 PM
>>
What you are probably seeing is an "out-of-range" error. In other words, the video signal from the graphics card is incompatible with your monitor. See the [F2]-triggered cheat-codes to try an 800x600 resolution, or try something like "knoppix xvrefresh=60" to find a compatible video mode. If you need more info, please specify:
<<

Yup, I had this problem with 3.2 - it was out of range. I got xhrefresh to get in range, but not xvrefresh for some reason....

Regards,

frank-heim
09-26-2003, 04:30 PM
<snip>
...my monitor is not getting any video and the light on the monitor shows that it is not getting video from the computer so the monitor goes into the off mode.
</snip>

1. Your video chipset; and
2. Your monitor brand.

You can get this info as it scrolls by at Knoppix startup, and/or (if you normally run Windows) get the information from the Device Manager. If you DON'T see this information under Knoppix, that may be part of the problem; if the Knoppix hardware ID doesn't match what Windows says, that may be useful, too. :roll: i had the same as descripted situation and typed: "knoppix xvrefresh=60". The monitor shows knoppix.
many thanks

Cerretelli
10-01-2003, 01:27 AM
I only downloaded and starting using knoppix today, and i had the same problem. After reading the FAQs it told me to try some cheat codes, so off i went ...

knoppix xmodule=vesa
This didn't work!

knoppix xmodule=fbdev
This did and and it loaded up!