PDA

View Full Version : How to save Data on a Fat32 (winME) Hard drive

s-m-n
04-21-2005, 08:00 PM
Hi,
can Knoppix 3.8.1 write files to a Fat32 formatted Hard drive? I have already saved 1 file to it, but in the following knoppix sessions it didn't work any more. You will look very stupid if you work a hour with openOffice and then can't save your work (to the hard disk). I temporarily saved the file in the ramdisk. Is there a special boot or mount option? I am running Knoppix from the Live-CD. The file I want to save is about 3 megs, so I can't use a floppy. I also tried to pack the file with ark, but the file was bigger than a floppy. Please, help me!
Thanks, s-m-n

s-m-n
04-23-2005, 05:23 PM
Come on, can really no one help me? :cry:

Harry Kuhman
04-23-2005, 05:54 PM
I haven't tried this with 3.8.1. yet. With older versions of Knoppix I had no problem writing to the FAT partition. Knoppix does default it to read-only, you have to make sure that you mount it as read/write, either from a shell with the mount command or by right clicking on the partition icon and selecting actions ... from the menu that pops up. I'm wondering if you'vecome across a problem with the new file system, but it does seem unlikely.

s-m-n
04-23-2005, 08:31 PM
Which commandline options are required for mounting with the shell? I'm going to try the way you described immediately.
Thanks, s-m-n

s-m-n
04-23-2005, 08:50 PM
Hi,
man, you're really great. It worked fine. So I did it:

1. Booting Knoppix
2. Right-click on the hda1 partition icon on the desktop
3. selected "actions..." from the menu that pops up
4. click on the entry "Change read/write mode" or so.

Now I can work with Knoppix almost like with Windows. :D
Thanks again, Greetings from Germany
s-m-n