PDA

View Full Version : PC not giving choice of booting to knoppix.

Dryfter
04-23-2005, 01:17 AM
It just goes straight to windows, even tho I set the install to MBR. Is there something in Knoppix-installer I missed? Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but i figured it was a boot issue.

chiefbutz
04-25-2005, 01:53 PM
OK i am new, i just got KNOPPIX yesterday, but you need to boot from the CD, if ypu van't copy the boot.img file from whichever directory it is in and out it on a floppy and have that in the floppy drive. Someone correct me if i am wrong, but that si what i ahve read.

foamrotreturns
04-26-2005, 04:56 PM
no, this problem is not related to booting from floppy. Floppies are not necessary to dual-boot your system.
Unfortunately, if you are trying to dual-boot your system, you will need to partition the hard drive first, THEN install Windows, THEN install Linux. Windows doesn't play nice with other OS's and does not have an option to skip the MBR write during installation. Also, it is extremely risky to resize a partition that Windows is installed on. Your best bet is to wipe the drive clean, partition the drive, install windows on one of the partitons, and then install Linux.

chiefbutz
04-26-2005, 09:29 PM
Ohh i see, i mis read the question, i guess my brain wasn't working and thought, oh he is just tryign to use the live CD

ckapsl
05-01-2005, 05:30 PM
I have a suspicion that there is something wrong with the knoppix-installer script writing the boot loader properly. See my thread:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18677