PDA

View Full Version : Internet connection missing on reboot.

Joe Soap
04-23-2005, 09:08 PM
Everytime that I reboot (Windows hangover, spare me the flames), I have to reconfigure my network card. It's easy - three clicks and you're there. It's also irritating and un-Linux like. How can I get the network config to be up & running after a reboot?

Joe Soap
04-29-2005, 06:14 AM
Sympathy bump ;)

Any ideas? Anybody?

mr_ed
05-01-2005, 09:53 AM
The problem isn't a lack of ideas, it's too many of them! We don't know anything about your setup, so we could suggest just about anything - like, install Debian sarge and everything should be just fine! :D

What did you install, and how, and what is it you do that makes the net ... work?

-- Ed

CrashedAgain
05-01-2005, 05:14 PM
I have had problems with the startup script /etc/init.d/knoppix-hd-autoconfig shutting down the ethernet card then not being able to restart it, this might be what is happening here.

see this post http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14325

The workaround is to edit knoppix-hd-autoconfig so it doesn't fiddle with eth0.

Joe Soap
05-03-2005, 09:09 PM
Aaah, a little light goes on :)

Ok, I've installed Knoppix 3.7 with the 2.4.27 kernel on my harddisk. I initially booted with the live cd and ran the install script from there. With the live cd, there was no problem with the network connection. However, now that it's installed on my HDD, I must configure the network card manually everytime I reboot. I do this by running /usr/sbin/netcardconfig, which is on the KNOPPIX menu. And that's it - snip snip, Bob's yer aunt.

Hth, mr_ed. Looking forward to reading some of your ideas :)

CrashedAgain, I've had a look at knoppix-hd-config and it says this about the network:

SCRIPTS=""
STARTNET=""
STARTPPP=""
STARTPCMCIA=""
STARTCUPS=""

while read i; do
case "$i" in
*/etc/network/interfaces) STARTNET="yes";;
*/etc/pcmcia/*) STARTPCMCIA="yes";;
*/etc/cups*) STARTCUPS="yes";;
esac
done <"$TMP"

[ -x /etc/ppp/ppp_on_boot ] && STARTPPP="yes";

if [ -n "$STARTNET" ]
then
echo "ESC[1;33m(Re)starting network services.ESC[0m"
killall pump 2>/dev/null && sleep 2 && killall -9 pump 2>/dev/null && sl
eep 2
SCRIPTS="$SCRIPTS ifupdown networking"
fi

There's some more, but this seems to be the relevant part. Unfortunately I know sweet blue buggerall about scripts and scripting. I'd be much obliged if you could tell me what to try next.

Thanks
Joe[/quote]

Joe Soap
05-05-2005, 11:38 PM
*bumpity*

rrfish72
05-07-2005, 10:41 PM
Had same problem. See This post:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13818&highlight=

Joe Soap
05-09-2005, 09:33 AM
Thanks very much, mate. Much appreciated.

Cheers
Joe