PDA

View Full Version : svga.lib

w5uc
04-24-2005, 12:20 AM
Greetings all:

I have Knoppix 3.7 installed to my HDD. As I have looked around in Knoppix it appears that svga.lib is installed. Is this correct?

I am really struggling with Linux and get very frustrated because I find myself not knowing what to do to solve a problem. Thanks in advance for your help.

fingers99
04-24-2005, 01:33 AM
What are you trying to do? What error message are you getting?

w5uc
04-24-2005, 02:34 AM
I want to install an application called Linrad, and it requires svga.lib as one of the supporting items. I did a Find, and from what I can see, svga is already an installed packsge.

fingers99
04-24-2005, 04:07 AM
OK, if I pop up Synaptic I find lots of entries for svga. (But none for the strange application you're trying to install or I'd suggest you did an apt-get for it, rather than pratting about with source code ;-) ).

For example:

svgalib-bin (which carries a "use with caution" flag)
libsvga1 (which is included in Knoppix)
libsvga1-dev

My guess (nothing more) is that the first or the third are what's required. Put them on and give it a try.

You want to su to root, do

apt-get update && apt-get install svgalib-bin libsvga1-dev && exit

then try your compile again. It's unfortunate thaty many developers simply don't state the "precise" names of dependencies (but, then, often they have different names in different distros. Often it'll be the development libraries of something you already have.

w5uc
04-24-2005, 04:09 AM
Many thanks.. I'll try it