PDA

View Full Version : New to Knoppix, need some pointers

Otacon
04-24-2005, 06:58 AM
Hey guys!

First of all, let me set up the background for this story.....

A couple of nights ago I recieved a virus somehow, and basically had to re-install windows...well as I was reinstalling, half way through the installation, an error came up...it turns out my stupid winxp disc is scratched :roll: I hated windows to begin with (I only used it for gaming anyway) and since I had a spare cd with Knoppix on it, I decided to give it another try. So I partitioned my Hard Drives, got everything setup the way I like it, and I am sooo happy I am using Knoppix again! I did have it on my HD a few months ago, but gave up in sheer frustration from trying to get my graphics card and games like ut2004 to work , etc. Well, this time I have decided to bite the bullet and just stick with knoppix. So now here's the problem.....I had figured that I would spend a few weeks taking things slow, making sure I got everything setup right, etc. until I realized I have a LAN party this week!! I totally forgot about it, and, without games on my box, it would be pointless to go :-(( I wouldn't but the only problem is that I'm an admin :-D So this is where you guys come in! I need your help in installing, setting up and running UT2004 and WolfET...I have tried in the past but just couldn't get it them to work, so I really need a lot of help! Although I did tinker with knoppix in the past, I have forgotten a lot of commands, how to setup my gfx card, etc, so PLEASE talk to me like a noob :D

Thanks guys! I really need to get these games up n running within the next coupla days, so if you guys can help me do it....a round of beers on me!

btw my specs are.....

P3 1Ghz
Geforce FX5200 PCI
512 MB RAM

I basically need help in setting up my grfx card I think..I tried playing wolf et and heres the error I got.......

root@Otacon:~# et
ET 2.60 linux-i386 Mar 10 2005
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
/root/.etwolf/etmain
/usr/games/enemy-territory/etmain/pak2.pk3 (22 files)
/usr/games/enemy-territory/etmain/pak1.pk3 (10 files)
/usr/games/enemy-territory/etmain/pak0.pk3 (3725 files)
/usr/games/enemy-territory/etmain/mp_bin.pk3 (6 files)
/usr/games/enemy-territory/etmain

----------------------
3763 files in pk3 files
execing default.cfg
couldn't exec language.cfg
couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok

------- Input Initialization -------
Joystick is not active.
------------------------------------
Bypassing CD checks
----- Client Initialization -----
----- Initializing Renderer ----
-------------------------------
----- Client Initialization Complete -----
----- R_Init -----
...loading libGL.so.1: Initializing OpenGL display
...setting mode 4: 800 600
Using XFree86-VidModeExtension Version 2.2
XF86DGA Mouse (Version 2.0) initialized
XFree86-VidModeExtension Activated at 800x600
Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Couldn't get a visual
...WARNING: could not set the given mode (4)
Initializing OpenGL display
...setting mode 3: 640 480
Using XFree86-VidModeExtension Version 2.2
XF86DGA Mouse (Version 2.0) initialized
XFree86-VidModeExtension Activated at 640x480
Couldn't get a visual
...WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)
----- CL_Shutdown -----
RE_Shutdown( 1 )
-----------------------
----- CL_Shutdown -----
-----------------------
Sys_Error: GLimp_Init() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

Thanks a bunch!

sd5867
04-24-2005, 07:28 AM
Hello, I am also new to Knoppix, but have been doing some researching into getting games to work w/ Linux. Basically here is what I have found out it takes.

1. Proper Video Driver - Since you are running a 5200, this is a little easier, www.nvidia.com has a set of drivers for linux, however I am having no luck getting them to work, could be just me or how I got everything set up.

2. This is an either or situation.

A. Linux versions of the games, I know a while back UT and some others were making Linux versions, if you have a copy, this should be much easier.

B. Cedega. This is for your windows versions. It's basically Wine with support for games. You can find out about it at www.transgaming.com

Like I said I am also new. If anyone would like to add things I missed or errors , feel free to.

braveerudite
04-24-2005, 04:05 PM
Wow this guy most really hate Windows XP... but then again isn't that the reason why we all here? For a better choice than Microsoft....? Is good to see people helping others out with hardware issues like this. I wish I could help you out but I'm a noob my self. But I think that if you can overcome this issues it would be a good opportunity to show your buddies at the LAN Party the greatness of Linux....and that Windows is not the only great OS in the world. Good Luck.... :)

Ansel
04-26-2005, 03:08 AM
I can not help you with games, but I can suggest reading a great book about Knoppix. O'Reilly publishing has a series of books called "HACKS". I've purchased 3 from the "HACKS" series "Network Security", "Windows XP" and "Knoppix". I've read the "Knoppix Hacks" and "Windows XP Hacks" both twice. I keep them close for reference purposes. They cost between $25 and $30 at Borders. "Knoppix Hacks" includes a copy of Knoppix v3.4.

It does not provide much information on how to configure your system for games, but it is loaded with over 100 Hacks you can perform using the Knoppix Live CD. I have tried to read the "Dummy" books, but have never gotten much from them. The Hack series from O'Reilly is different. Some of the Knoppix Hacks I found helpful are, "Fix your Windows Boot Sector", "Resize Windows Partitions", "Scan for Viruses", and "Reset Lost NT Passwords". I could continue but you get the idea. This is a very powerful tool. There is a section for configuring X settings.

You may want to research the WINE (Wine Is Not an Emulator) application on Knoppix. You may find some helpful emulators at: http://www.linuxlinks.com/Software/Emulators/Microsoft/

XWINE
WINE TOOLS
VMWare

I have tried to use WINE, but have not been sucessful at getting it to work.

I take issue with your complaint for Windows XP. The problem you have is not with the OS, but with the fact that your disk is scratched. If you scratch your Knoppix CD, it too will not work. Will you bad mouth Knoppix also?

Personnally, I like knoppix. But, Knoppix is not for the faint of heart. I provide support to businesses and home users, and the people calling upon my services are not ready for Linux. I am not a novice when it comes to PCs, but this OS reminds me of my MS-DOS and Atari DOS days.

It's challenging and rewarding when I figure out how to create a complete image of my system volumn and how to restore a Windows' sysvol using Knoppix. Now if I could figure out how to make Linux write to an NTFS volumn reliablly.

Good luck with your challenge, and let us know how your LAN party works out.

sd5867
04-27-2005, 05:15 PM
Hello, I just wanted to post an update.

I just got City of Heroes to work, I am no longer running Knoppix, BUT I am running debian, since knoppix is basically debian, this should still work.

1. Follow the instructions in this link to get the NVidia drivers installed.
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-21554.html

2. Find a copy of Cedega, it comes in .deb packages, so you can install it through apt-get or kpackage with no problem.

3. Copy your game to the proper folders (some new ones will show up in your home folder)

4. run your game #cedega name-of-game-exe

This is how I got my stuff to work. Make sure you follow all the instructions when installing the Nvidia driver, I forgot to remove GLCore, and spent another couple of hours trying to figure out why it wouldn't work. However, I did find out, instead of editing the XF86Config-4 file, your can run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 to add the nvidia driver as your default and to remove the things you need to remove.

I know it's a little late for your lan party, but this should get you running for the next one.