PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.8.1 - USB Cable Modem Connectivity Solution

colpitts
04-24-2005, 02:00 PM
Hi all,

I've read some posts on this forum about internet connection problems when trying to use a USB Cable Modem with Knoppix 3.8.1. I have been having similar problems, but have found a solution that works for me.

I had no problems with my connection when I was using Knoppix 3.7 (using either the 2.4 or 2.6 kernels) but could not connect when using Knoppix 3.8.1. What I found was that Knoppix 3.7 detected an ethernet device (eth0) whereas Knoppix 3.8.1 did not. I don't understand a great deal about hardware detection in initialisation of Knoppix, so I don't know why this is.

Under Knoppix 3.8.1 I ran the PPPOE connection wizard from KNOPPIX -> Network/Internet in KDE, which stated that no ethernet devices could be found and I should run the modconf script. Here, I added the module "usbnet" from the /kernel/drivers/usb/net catagory. eth0 was then detected by Knoppix, and it ran same automatic tests which ended up in providing a brief error message. I suspected at this stage that a DHCP broadcast would be necessary in order to grab an IP for my USB modem. Running KNOPPIX -> Network/Internet -> Network card configuration provided an option to do a USB broadcast on eth0. After doing this, I had a working connection (this post under Knoppix 3.8.1 being the proof! :) ).

I hope that's of some use to users who have had trouble. If anyone can suggest a more elegant way of doing this (via a cheat code?) during initialisation then that would be of interest to me!

Cheers.

Elevus
04-25-2005, 11:45 AM
yes i have same problem and i tried to connect to the internet ethernet connection and usb connection same cable modem it did not work please help!!

Elevus
04-25-2005, 02:35 PM
yes i made the connection with usb cable modem