PDA

View Full Version : XP and ntfs

oneohthree
04-25-2005, 12:50 AM
How do I use Knoppix to recover files from the NTFS file system on my hard drive. I have Windows XP and Knoppix 3.7

Kowood
04-25-2005, 01:05 AM
Knoppix is pretty sketchy with NTFS, so I've heard...And I know nothing about recovering files...What exactly do you want to do? If you were a bit more specific, I might be able to help.

oneohthree
04-25-2005, 02:12 AM
I was able to access my hard drive, but im not sure how to burn files onto a CD. I only have one CD burner and I'm running the Knoppix disk on it

Harry Kuhman
04-25-2005, 02:19 AM
I was able to access my hard drive, but im not sure how to burn files onto a CD. I only have one CD burner and I'm running the Knoppix disk on it
Yup, that's a problem. If you have a gig or more of memory then you can use the toram cheat code. If not then you can transfer the files across a network, store them on another device like a USB flash memory device, or you could get a different Live CD distro (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15175) that takes up less space like DSL (Damn Small Linux). DSL fits in about 50 meg and still can burn CD's, so you can either use the toram option with it and then take out the CD, or you can burn it to the first session of a multi session CD. You can then burn your data to the second session of the CD while the CD is still in the system (the CD will no longer be bootable but you will have your data).

oneohthree
04-25-2005, 03:41 AM
how do u mount usb drives?

Harry Kuhman
04-25-2005, 04:34 AM
how do u mount usb drives?
For me, if the flash drive is plugged into a USB port at boot time, there will be an icon on the desktop that I can use (ricght click abd use the actions... submenu to make it read/write). Other have reported problems where they don't see the icon. I don't know how they have resolved this but you could search the forums for the threads.